Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

"Groaning" noise when starting from full stop.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:46 AM
mbm
Default "Groaning" noise when starting from full stop.

I have 14k on my 2011 Limited. Suddenly I am now getting this groaning/creaking sound (like the sound an old sailing vessel would make in waves) when I move from a dead stop, like a light or stop sign.

Sounds like it's coming from the lower left by the running board where it meets the front fender, that general area. But you know how sounds can be. Anyone else? I thought it was the door hinges, but no dice. It makes the noise with door open or closed and of course my dealer's service crew make up all kinds of reasons why I might be hearing the noise. So, I recorded it

Old 04-10-2011, 11:54 AM

have a 2011 Sonata GLS with about 1500 miles and also get that "groaning" or "moaning" sound while sitting at idle. Seems to be coming from the passenger side rear underneath the car. Sounds a bit like the bass hum in a radio, but its not that. One thread suggested it might be the fuel pump, located toward the rear of the car......

Appreciate any other suggestions..........

Old 04-11-2011, 08:05 AM
mbm

Originally Posted by ricardomo
have a 2011 Sonata GLS with about 1500 miles and also get that "groaning" or "moaning" sound while sitting at idle. Seems to be coming from the passenger side rear underneath the car. Sounds a bit like the bass hum in a radio, but its not that. One thread suggested it might be the fuel pump, located toward the rear of the car......

Appreciate any other suggestions..........
That's not the noise I'm referring to, though I've heard that one too and it passes once the car is warmed up. Might be exhaust, who knows. This car certainly has a lot of noises that vary depending on ambient temp and run time.

My noise is more like the noise you'd get if you put a golf ball inside a sealed plastic tube and just flipped it in one movement and held it vertical so the ball bounces a bit at the end, but not including the rolling noise it would make on it's way down. Kind of a hollow sound like that. If I accelerate quickly, it's very quick knock...knock... pattern, slower and it's proportionally slower.

If I was going to guess, it's some connection in the lower frame, very hard to determine exactly location, but sounds like feet area.

Will try to record the sound, which I have to do for proof anyway when I file the claim.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:21 AM

took my 2011 sonata in for the same problem. New fuel pump is on order and they will replace on Tuesday when the part comes in.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:11 AM
mbm

I do have that same groan at idle, but only when cold after a couple of minutes of run time before driving. So thanks for the info, however that's not what this topic is meant to discuss.

I will record the sound and post it.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:32 AM

I was wondering if you were able to get the noise fixed where u mentioned it sounded like a golf ball in a sealed tube. I have a similar issue but only on acceleration and my description to the dealer yesterday was that it sounded like a rubber ball bouncing around inside of a tin can. Also thought that the fuel pumps seems loud at times. Have there been a lot of issues with fuel pumps? thanks