Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

WOULD SONATA OWNERS BUY ANOTHER HYUNDAI

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:15 AM

I have a 2009 Sonata GLS i4. Had it for 10 months now and put on 12,000 miles. Rides as quiet and smooth today as it did the first day, no rattles or problems. Know it's gonna start and take us where we got to go. Just hope that continues because the resale value isn't great but the cost was a few thousand less the it's competitors and I try to keep my cars for 7 plus years. YES, I would buy another Sonata!

Old 07-20-2009, 01:37 PM

My Brother-in-Law gave me his 2000 Sonata with 127K on it. He kept it maintained and it is nearly flawless. This is a great car, superior reliability, and well thought out in design. This particular one came form a non-"Rust belt" state, so doesn't have the engine cradle problem, I hope to protect it from this, now that it is a Michigan car.

I have been mostly GM (9) with a few MoPars (2), and Fords (3), (all V8's) but this car is one I trust the most. I even trust that the company might stay in business!
The 4 cylinder has surprising zip, and gets 30 MPG.

For a hard core "US Cars Only" person, I am learning a lot from this one...
So Hell's Yes!

It is too bad that the dealers inability to fix things weighs so heavily in people's opinions, I just stay out of the dealers, even with the 9 brand-new cars I have owned.

The only dealer I liked was Rinke Cadilliac, and they were excellent, but they got lots of practice, because my 93 DeVille was the most failure-prone car I ever owned. (and I owned a 1968 Charger, legendary for its problems)

When I fix it myself, the problem doesn't come back, because I fix the problem, not just replace the part. The dealer probably is not allowed to redesign a part, too bad.

Last edited by dbacon; 08-07-2009 at 02:26 AM. Reason: speling
Old 08-06-2009, 12:19 PM

No. Started off with faulty headlamps, which were finally recalled; alignment & vibrating steering wheel. 2007 Sonata Limited

Old 08-13-2009, 10:10 PM

We are looking now at an '09. The 2000 Elantra has 245000 miles on it noe and other than a trans at 170000 it has only been routine maintenance. It even still has the original brakes on teh rear (aout shot now), and uses no oil.
Larry

Old 08-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Default I want to buy Hyundai Elantra Touring

I think it is better than Mazda.
I travel very much and I need a large car and one more reason that make me chose
Hyundai Elantra is the price - i read on topspeed.com that the price stat at only
$17,800

Old 09-12-2009, 07:22 PM

'06 Sonata 3.3 (36K) owner. Based on my experiences, NO. I now know why they warranty it for 10 years.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Thumbs up Absolutely!

My '06 Sonata 2.4L has 139,000 miles on it and has not given me a problem since the day I drove it off the lot. My son's '01 Elantra has 163,000 miles on it. The only thing I've ever had to do to it that wasn't routine maintenance was when I had to replace the power window and door lock module in the driver's door.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:58 PM

I am unsure at this point--I am a fan of my Sonata, but, I miss having a rear-wheel drive car. I think I would only purchase a Genesis.

My car has 45k miles on it, and I have had to replace both brake lights, both headlights, and now I have to replace the drivers side foglight bulb. I have never gone through so many bulbs before, so that is strange. I also need to do a brake job. I do love the power (3.3L), and it is very comfortable to drive. The car is rated 20 to 30MPG, and I average 20.9, mixed driving. The only time I have been anywhere close to 30 is 28, and that is resetting the trip on the interstate.

I like sport sedans, so when I am ready to trade in the Sonata, I will be looking in to 2007-2009 model years of G8 GT, Mustang GT, G35, and Genesis.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BottlefedLX
I do love the power (3.3L), and it is very comfortable to drive. The car is rated 20 to 30MPG, and I average 20.9, mixed driving.

I like sport sedans, so when I am ready to trade in the Sonata, I will be looking in to 2007-2009 model years of G8 GT, Mustang GT, G35, and Genesis.
Since when is a Mustang a sedan? And you expect to get BETTER mileage from a V8 Mustang GT or a V8 G8 GT? LOL!!!!

Old 09-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Exclamation Honda no more, now it's Hyundai

Originally Posted by johan_soeriohadi
no....i prefer honda then hyundai..the dealer is so cheaty
Hmmm... dealer aside, did you know that 3 of the top 10 cars with the most complaints at carcomplaints.com are Hondas? 2 are for transmission problems and the newest of the 3 was #1 on the list for excessive brake wear.

I own a 1992 Honda with 140,000 miles, bought with 123,000 miles, one original owner. I bought in in 2002 and paid almost $5000.00 for it at a car auction (it would have gone for much more from a dealer). Sure it was, and still can be, zippy & handles great. But here's the bad stuff:

1)The plastic inserts behind the door handle are flimsy & were cracked when I got it. You'd have to take the door apart to fix them.

2)Though there had been maintenance (original records book in manual), I had to -expensively- rebuild the car from the inside. After a certain amount of milage (60,000 or so), you have to replace almost everything.

3)There is something called a main relay, which sits under the dash panel on the left hand side. If you check Honda forums, you will see that the reason it dies is due to poor soldering. Replacement part = $50.00 and much contorting on your part to put it in. But you'd better, or your car won't start when the interior is hot. And it won't start if you drive it a succession of short hops (regardless of temperature). Then you have to try it a couple of times, wait 10 minutes, and then it will start.

4)Water, water, everywhere! I knew the trunk was damp (again not just my problem, as suggestions at the Honda forum were to line the lights with clear sealant). I had no idea of the scope of the problem until the rear passenger quarterpanel simply detached from the rusted metal underneath. Both back quarterpanels are connected to the back, so it didn't fall off into the street. Luckily there was enough meatal left for my mechanic to bolt it in place. Not so lucky for the other side quarterpanel. It hangs. The Honda manual reccommends opening the drainage plugs, but nowhere does it mention where the drainage plugs are located. What kind of nonsense is this? Half information? The license lights, & one of the brake lights have a short life due to the moisture. The middle brake light sometimes works, sometimes not, as the water is killing the wires. The water corroded some wires which lead to a short which kept my trunk light on all the time. "Mo money 'mo money...

5)The heater core went. Why? Who knows? I've driven older cars for longer whose air conditioning could have reversed global warming, and you could have driven in bathing suits in January. But if I use the heater and/or defroster, a fine mist of antifreeze sprays across the inner windshield and out the vents. I always run the air contioning on low to keep the main relay from heating, but if I need to run it on high, odorless smoke pours out from the vents.

6)Now for the biggie. The solenoid went bad, and is taking the computer down with it, as well as the rest of the transmission. It already devoured main relay #2. Fixing this would cost a minimum of $2400.00, fixing the rest would cost a fortune. When I 1st brought the car to the mechanic, there was a Honda Odessy in for transmission work. A week later, when I came to reclaim my poor, terminal car, there was a Honda Pilot in for transmission work. The mechanic said Honda makes great cars but can't get the transmissions right. "if you buy a 2003-2005 honda, I'll be seeing you soon".

Don't have to hit me over the head . In a couple days I'll be driving a 2006 Hyundai Sonata.

Quick Reply: WOULD SONATA OWNERS BUY ANOTHER HYUNDAI