Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

trouble starting up 2004 Tiburon

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Default trouble starting up 2004 Tiburon

I have owned my 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT manual trans.(40,000 mi on it) for a year now. Just 6 months after owning it, the car started to have intermittent trouble starting. There is no turn over noise at all when it happens, just dead silence. Once it finally starts, it runs great, no prob. It can happen twice or more a week or I may not have a bit of trouble starting it for a month. Just recently it took me more than 10 mins. for it to finally start up and it has happened twice this week so far. I took it to my mechanic I have used for years and had him hook it up to diagnostics. Of course when he went to start it it started up fine. He said the only thing it showed was the battery not passing the tests. He replaced the battery, but he also checked for some "clutch switch" or "plunger" type part(I think he called it) and said it was loose and he adjusted it as well? Since he can't get it to not start up right away, started fine every time, he doesn't know what else to look for? Has anyone else out there had any experience with this same thing that can give me any insight here?

Old 02-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Banned

I agree with the mechanic, it's probably the clutch safety switch having a problem. It's a cheap part, easy to replace. Maybe you should just go ahead and change it, it might work.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:56 PM

OK, thank you! The car did the same thing again today, wouldn't start, not a turn over of any kind, just dead. I had been driving it for a while, stopped at a few places and at the third stop got back in it to start it and it took me 3 times turning the key to get it to catch. So, you don't think it's a starter issue or the way the key itself or ignition switch might not be connecting with something? I called my mechanic again and he said there must be something not making contact... He wants me to leave it at the garage so he can get it to not start for him. That may take days or longer before it happens again. I told him I'll wait until it is happening a lot again and drop it off. So you just think I should have him change the clutch switch and wait? What is an average cost of that part being replaced with labor? Not that I care, I just want the damn thing fixed!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Banned

You can buy this part at Autozone for $14. It's real easy to put in, it's underneath on the clutch pedal. I'll bet you could do it yourself if you were brave. You could take your car to the mechanic and let him mess around for days and charge you too much money.

I would be willing to be even money that your "clutch pedal ignition switch" is more than likely the problem.

Here's a pic. You can see it if you get your flashlight out and look under there. It's one little screw and it's out:

Attached Thumbnails trouble starting up 2004 Tiburon-17.jpg  
Old 02-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Default Clutch safety switch

Is the "clutch pedal ignition switch" the same part as the "clutch safety switch"?
My mechanic says (the "clutch safety switch" for the Hyundai Tib) is a dealer part for $108. Part charge & install will cost $180 out the door. Are they the same part?
he last time I went to buy a Tib part (windshield washer pump) it was also a dealer only part? Auto Zone did not have it.
Also, my mechanic said if this is the part it needs, if I get in and it won't start to hold the key to the right and pump the clutch and it should start eventually. If this is the case, it's the switch they want to replace. Are we talking about the exact same switch? If I can get it at Auto Zone my husband will replace it for me for sure. (I'm not that brave in 20 degree weather!)

Old 02-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Banned

HA HA HA HA HA!

Yes, it's the same part. Aren't mechanics great? Of course the dealer part is original OEM, but the OEM part failed. So how bad can the Autozone part be?

Yes, indeed, get your husband to fix it. See that? The mechanic wants $180 and it won't even take him 5 minutes. He won't even get his hands dirty. I'll bet he makes money on the part too.

Here's a diagram showing the switch:

Attached Thumbnails trouble starting up 2004 Tiburon-17.jpg  
Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Default Clutch Ignition Switch

Very Cool! Thank You! Are you sure you're not a neighbor of mine?! Darn, probably not, huh? Thanks so much for your time & info.!

Old 02-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Banned

Nope, I'm not your neighbor. Sorry. I just like to save people money to fix their cars. Hope it works. Let me know what happens anyway. Good luck!

Old 10-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Default Did you change the switch? Did it work for you?

Originally Posted by Ladydi
Very Cool! Thank You! Are you sure you're not a neighbor of mine?! Darn, probably not, huh? Thanks so much for your time & info.!
Hi

Did you change the switch? Did it work for you? I am having the same trouble.

Cheers