Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Grinding 6th gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 07:28 AM
Default Grinding 6th gear

Hello
my tucson has started grinding when in 6th gear. Has this happen to anyone else. The AA came out and said its the syncromesh and Hyundai will try to get out of replacing it even though it's under warranty. Now i'm worried as I need my car and I can't afford to pay £1500 upwards as I have just lost my job. Any advice from anyone as Hyundai are being really unhelpful. They say they need to see the car urgently and not to use it but cant fit me in for nearly 3 weeks and arent sure if i can get a curtesy car. Im looking for work and need the car. Any advice and any help please.
Gary

Old 08-22-2020, 07:36 AM

The possible cause involving a synchronizer is the most likely cause. If repair is ignored it can cause teeth to be chipped and even knocked off if forced into gear.
If possible don't use that gear position until repairs can be done.
If you synchronize the engine speed with the vehicle speed it can go into gear without gear clash. It might take a little practice and is not hard to learn.
There are lots of manual transmissions out there that have no synchronizers and they are mostly in heavy duty trucks. A good truck river can show you how to do it.

Last edited by hanky; 08-22-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:04 AM
Default Syncromesh

Hello,

Thanks for the info. Hyundai and the AA have basically said the same however Hyundai are telling me it's driver error and not a common fault with their cars therefore I'm not covered under my warranty! I've been driving for nearly 25 years and I have never had a problem with my gears or any problem caused by my 'driving' before. I've only ever changed my cars out of choice not necessity. Up until the pandemic i think i would have blindly accepted the 'not in warranty' and paid over £2,500 as they have quoted but as the car is a '65 plate and I have done on average 8,000 a year in mileage plus i've lost my job I will have to argue this. Thanks for the info however.

Gary

Old 08-24-2020, 08:01 AM

I'm sure you realize their answer makes no sense.
If ,,,,they were correct the driver error would apply to all gear selections and as we know , it does not !

If , you are sure your warranty is supposed to cover this , why not try another place that does warranty work?

Old 08-24-2020, 09:12 AM

Call Hyundai corporate customer service directly

Old 03-15-2021, 02:15 PM
Default I've the same problem

Originally Posted by GaryGee
Hello
my tucson has started grinding when in 6th gear. Has this happen to anyone else. The AA came out and said its the syncromesh and Hyundai will try to get out of replacing it even though it's under warranty. Now i'm worried as I need my car and I can't afford to pay £1500 upwards as I have just lost my job. Any advice from anyone as Hyundai are being really unhelpful. They say they need to see the car urgently and not to use it but cant fit me in for nearly 3 weeks and arent sure if i can get a curtesy car. Im looking for work and need the car. Any advice and any help please.
Gary
I left my car into the garage today for the same reason. They've told me I need a new clutch at £540 but another garage told me it's a new gearbox I need (under warranty). I had this issue a few years back with an ix35 and the gearbox had to be replaced..

Old 03-14-2024, 09:54 PM
Default Grinding 3rd

Hi, my tuscon 2017, 6 speed manual gearbox is experiencing a crunching sound going into 3rd. I went to a local garage who diagnosed a syncromesh fault. He told me to contact Hyundai and see if they can do something, even though its 2 years out of warranty. He said the gearbox shouldn't be having these issues, especially at 69000 miles, and it's because of a the syncromesh parts in the gearbox not being fit for purpose. He also said the part now has been engineered so it is more robust and wouldn't snap or break going forward. I tried through customer services, got as far as taking it to the main dealership for diagnosis off them, but was told that because I didn't get my services and MOTs done through them, and it being 2 years out of warranty, no chance. Had I at least had servicing and MOTs done through the main dealership, they would have provided a goodwill discount. It is costing me £760 for replacement meshes and labour. Luckily they do a payment plan through a company called Bumper where I can split over 6 months, but is still a pain and still quite a common fault with this gearbox, and the not fit for purpose syncromesh in this models gearbox.

Last edited by Buzzerclarke; 03-16-2024 at 02:34 AM.