Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Default Couple of questions

My mom recently purchased a Tucsan...does the Tucsan have the same transmission issues as lets say the Elantra? Fluid specs?

And how exactly do you pronounce Tucsan? Like Tuc-san? Like Tuscan AZ?

And how do you describe this vehicle? Is it a truck? An SUV, a ut'? A sport crossover? What? I refer to it as a truck and she gets all offended...that its a car, based off the Elantra!

Old 05-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Default RE: Couple of questions

Great responses[sm=boosign.gif]

Old 05-30-2006, 07:36 PM

ok first its tucson . pronounced tooson got it? and i would say its a sports utility veichle

Old 05-31-2006, 11:22 AM

Sport Utility huh? So that would make it more "truck like" than "car like", right?

...does the Tucsan have the same transmission issues as lets say the Elantra? Fluid specs?
Are all Hyundais equipt with similar Mitsubishi automatic transmissions that require the special, dealer only, SP-III ATF??

Old 05-31-2006, 09:18 PM

You might find better response over at Tucsonn Drivers

Old 06-01-2006, 01:49 AM

Tuscon does not have any trans issues,come to think of it neither have elantras.Anyway, sp3 is only fluid to be used.Change it every 30k miles. Pronounce it like Tuscon AZ. It is a small SUV.Like a shrunk Sante Fe.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: hyundai tech

Tuscon does not have any trans issues,come to think of it neither have elantras.Anyway, sp3 is only fluid to be used.Change it every 30k miles.
Thats interesting that you should say that, that fluid spec alone is an issue! Dealer only fluids are a PITA!

Every 30k is another issue...I personally change my own ATF every 15k(its a Suzuki), the manual suggests every 70k, but with readily available fluids Im able to do it more often...and will have less issues with my transmission...not having to worry about the dealer hosing me with the wrong fluids(which Ive read several Hyundai dealers have a hard time using the correct fluids)...and Ive read dozens of reports of Elantra owners having fatal transmission problems.

Point is, this is a simple "oil change"...hardly worth the 70+ dollars the dealer charges...if the transmission internals werent so sesnsitive, a higher quality synthetic aftermarket fluid could be used...I really dont understand how this is not an "issue".

Old 06-02-2006, 12:44 PM

You can use alternate fluids, as long as their certified the same as what HMA goes by.

Also, everyone should use the 'Severe Conditions' column noted in the manual as far as servicing goes. Rest assured, if you have a warranty issue, it will be one less thing they can try and snake you on.

I used to take my 93' Corolla in every 50K for a Trani-Flush. Ran me around $100. The car now has over 230.000 miles on it, same transmission, no problems.

I'm a preventitave maintenance kinda guy. Take car of your vehicle, it will take care of you.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: lbocean

You can use alternate fluids, as long as their certified the same as what HMA goes by.
Thats what Im looking for...a fluid with the same specs. I know too many family members with the Hyundai automatic transmission, that I could help if I could get the right fluids. Id change the ATF every 15k if it was readily available...like I do with my own car.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:54 PM

Look here : Amsoil Oils