Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Hard wiring a scanner into my 2009 Tucson

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Default Hard wiring a scanner into my 2009 Tucson

Hello from a new member. I want to hard wire a scanner into my 2009 Tucson. What is the easiest way to do that? Is it to simply run the red to battery positive and black to battery negative or to ground?

Or is it best to wire it into the fuse block? I would prefer to do that. I have seen sites that are shown using a fuse tap. Some taps are one you plug in in place of the fuse and the fuse plugs into that. Then it has a pig tail come off with a two sided crimp connector. I assume that would be for the positive. Another kind is just a metal "band" that fits over the fuse and connects to one of the legs/prongs of the fuse. It has a male spade connector on one end. I assume you would crimp a female spade connector on your positive from the scanner cord and attach it to the fuse tap. In either case, it seems the advice is to ground the black to the fuse block.

If wiring direct to battery, where is the easiest place to bring the wiring into the passenger compartment from under the hood? I really am not comfortable drilling the firewall.

P.S. Forgot to ask which size fuse would be best to tap into or does it depend on the size of the in-line fuse on the scanner DC power cord?

I may have a few follow-up questions.

Dave