Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Oil in the air filter housing

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 08:56 PM
Default Oil in the air filter housing

Hey everyone, first post here. I have a 2017 Tucson SE Plus, with a little under 30k miles. I replaced the OEM air filter with a K&N permanent filter that supposedly can just be cleaned every 10k miles instead of replaced. Not long afterwards, I noticed a little bit of pink oily fluid saturating the corner of it, and puddled a little in the housing underneath. I couldn’t find pink fluid of any sort in any of the reservoirs. Since the problem didn’t seem to be growing, and didn't affect the way she runs, I just kinda forgot about it. I checked it again more recently after buying the cleaning kit for the filter, and I noticed that it was more saturated this time. I called a trusted mechanic to figure out where the pink fluid could be coming from, and he mentioned (without even being told) that a lot of people like to tinker when they get a new car, then replace the OEM filter with K&N filters, which are pink. He said that it’s likely engine oil, and just dyed pink from the filter itself. He also said that K&N filters are garbage and to throw it away; that time after time, he sees them doing much more harm than good. Pardon the long background story, but I’m wondering what the likely
cause of oil in my air filter housing would be, and if this is something that I could fix myself. He also mentioned a PCV valve being a possibility. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this, and could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-08-2020, 01:18 PM

We try not to offer any negative responses regarding aftermarket products.
Most of the time the item the manufacturer places on their new vehicles is usually the result of a combination of considerations like cost , performance, availability, ease of installation ,longevity etc., and they will usually stand behind their use. Not all changes are necessarily beneficial and altering from the original construction / assembly can maybe solve some problems, but also create some problems too. One way oil can get into the air filter assy is via the PCV system.I seriously doubt that is the problem with your vehicle unless regular oil and filter changes were ignored and the possibility of other than the recommended oil was installed. If you cannot find any problem with the PCV system , I would suggest you reinstall the originally built air filter assy and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you have your answer. What do you think ?

Old 04-10-2020, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
We try not to offer any negative responses regarding aftermarket products.
Most of the time the item the manufacturer places on their new vehicles is usually the result of a combination of considerations like cost , performance, availability, ease of installation ,longevity etc., and they will usually stand behind their use. Not all changes are necessarily beneficial and altering from the original construction / assembly can maybe solve some problems, but also create some problems too. One way oil can get into the air filter assy is via the PCV system.I seriously doubt that is the problem with your vehicle unless regular oil and filter changes were ignored and the possibility of other than the recommended oil was installed. If you cannot find any problem with the PCV system , I would suggest you reinstall the originally built air filter assy and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you have your answer. What do you think ?
Thanks so much for the response! I didn’t necessarily mean to bash K&N, as I'd always thought they had a good reputation. Just passing along the opinion of my mechanic, and honestly, it was information that I wish I’d had before I bought the filter. And more specifically, as soon as he heard my problem, he mentioned that brand filter specifically before he had any idea that I’d installed one myself. Since that was so pertinent to the story, I felt like it was a detail that couldn’t be left out to give it context. But point taken, and moving forward, I'll be more vague.

I certainly have not ignored oil, or oil filter changes, especially since it’s still under the factory warranty. In fact, I use a quality oil and filter that I bring myself when I get them changed. One thing that I have done in addition to regular oil changes (every 5k miles per Hyundai), is use Gumout per instructions in the crank case 100-500 miles before an oil change. I’ve also used Seafoam once to clean the vacuum system. Could either one of these break loose any contaminants that could affect the PCV valve?

In the meantime, I bought a Wix filter, which I’ve read is their OEM brand, to replace the one that's in the car now. As far as the air filter assembly is concerned, I didn’t tamper with that in anyway. I didn’t install a cold air intake, or anything like that, just installed a permanent filter that I thought might be an improvement. With all things considered, is the PCV valve the first place you would start? It looks cheap and easy to replace, from what I’ve seen. However, I can’t find instructions for its location in this particular engine. So far, I’ve only found instructions for up to a 2012. If this is the likely culprit in your opinion, would you happen to have a link? Thanks again so much for your help, and looking forward to your response!

Old 04-10-2020, 12:54 PM

I don't know which engine is in your vehicle, however, you might get the replacement PCV valve (hopefully OEM) so you know what it looks like and look for that valve that should have a piece of hose going to it, located on the driver/s side of the rear of the engine.You could always ask the parts dept of the dealership where it is located.at the time of purchase.
There is a reason we try to stay with OEM because some, not all, are cheaper, but don;t perform as well and as long.
A little side note, there are a lot of products out there that some folks think are necessary for the continued good performance of their vehicle and are not really necessary. They don't usually do any damage except to the wallet. Good quality and recommended oil and fuel usually provide good results and performance. At least that is what I have learned.

Old 04-10-2020, 06:50 PM

I don't see how oil can get into the air filter housing other than from the K and N air filter.
Meaning the air flow direction should prevent oil from flowing back into the air filter housing
Those filters are sometimes saturated with oil to start.
And often times one may see that oil in the housing.
The PCV does sometimes carry oil fumes up to the valve cover
And some people put oil catch cans to collect this type of oil
I don't know if there is a benefit to using an oil catch can

Enjoy the ride.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:37 AM

This 2017 Tucson has direct fuel injection and one of the problems with that type system is oil fumes accumulating carbon on the intake valves which interferes with intake air flow. This can and does affect performance. I believe the oil catch can syst helps slow down the availability of the oil to accumulate on the valves It is a band Aid fix, and supposedly helps to reduce the problem.

Last edited by hanky; 04-11-2020 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by avisitor
I don't see how oil can get into the air filter housing other than from the K and N air filter.
Meaning the air flow direction should prevent oil from flowing back into the air filter housing
Those filters are sometimes saturated with oil to start.
And often times one may see that oil in the housing.
The PCV does sometimes carry oil fumes up to the valve cover
And some people put oil catch cans to collect this type of oil
I don't know if there is a benefit to using an oil catch can

Enjoy the ride.
You were exactly right. I couldn't see any way that it was possible, either. I checked the PCV valve and everything seemed fine with it; the spring was still functioning freely and it was still relatively clean. For good measure I cleaned it anyway, and have a replacement on the way. To rule out the filter itself, I removed it, cleaned up the oil in the housing, replaced it with an OEM (I believe WIX was the OEM) filter and drove it about fifty miles. No oil on the filter, or in the housing underneath. I still have another 400 miles, or so, before the next oil change is due, so I'll check it once more before then, but that seemed to be the culprit. It's hard to believe that there's that much oil saturated in the filter out the box that it would literally puddle under it in the housing, but seeing is believing. Thanks for the response!