New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2016 Hyundai Elantra Wont Start After Radio Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Angry 2016 Hyundai Elantra Wont Start After Radio Swap

hello all, i recently attempted to put in a OEM bluetooth radio into my elantra. i had the basic one so i thought this would be a decent upgrade, i took the radio out and hooked up the new one and everything worked perfect,

https://www.ebay.com/p/2015-Hyundai-...0167667&chn=ps <<-- pic of bluetooth radio i got from another elantra

about 4 hours later i tried to start the car and it would crank but not turn over at all. i figured maybe the radio never went into sleep mode and drained the battery, so i took the battery out twice and charged it to full, same result, its about 40 degrees outside btw

i bought a new battery with more CCA and it started after about 2 tries but sounded horrible and laggy, so i cut it back off. i am at a loss about what it could be, ive checked the fuses, fuel pump primes, electronics work, i just dont know

ive done my research online and cant find anything except maybe the immobilizer? can anyone of you guys guide me with some info before i have to tow it to a shop? greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by Elantra55; 02-07-2019 at 01:02 PM. Reason: picture link
Old 02-08-2019, 08:29 AM

anybody? im sure it could be a fuse or a relay i just need to know which ones to check for

Old 02-08-2019, 08:34 AM

Because,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the radio is part of a network in some vehicles, it can interfere with operations.

One thing you might be able to do is reinstall the original radio and see what result you get. It is either that or have it towed and possibly have the dealership charge $$$ and tell you that or do whatever will be necessary to get it running.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Because,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the radio is part of a network in some vehicles, it can interfere with operations.

One thing you might be able to do is reinstall the original radio and see what result you get. It is either that or have it towed and possibly have the dealership charge $$$ and tell you that or do whatever will be necessary to get it running.
thanks for the reply, yea i put the original radio back in yesterday and it gave me the same result, we contacted the dealership and they said there isnt an anti theft feature or anything like that and also i probably blew a fuse, so thats what im checking right now

Old 02-08-2019, 02:40 PM

When replacing the radio, did you disconnect the battery at all?
What about pulling on wires when replacing radio?

Guessing that maybe should go back to basics
Check for spark, fuel injector pulse, fuel pump, etc

Old 02-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor
When replacing the radio, did you disconnect the battery at all?
What about pulling on wires when replacing radio?

Guessing that maybe should go back to basics
Check for spark, fuel injector pulse, fuel pump, etc
i didn't and thats probably where i messed up, after pulling and checking every fuse it ended up being a faulty #1 relay (START on the diagram) i swapped it out with another and it fired right up, gonna attempt it one more time but gonna unhook the battery this time, thanks for all the replies guys!

Old 02-13-2019, 01:44 PM

Never heard of the battery taking out a relay
But, learn something new everyday.

I am more inclined to believe that the relay was just coincidence
It just happen to fail at the dame time you were replacing the radio.
But, that is a really good work finding the problem

Old 02-13-2019, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor
Never heard of the battery taking out a relay
But, learn something new everyday.

I am more inclined to believe that the relay was just coincidence
It just happen to fail at the dame time you were replacing the radio.
But, that is a really good work finding the problem
tell me about it lol, it could have been a coincidence but i just finished swapping the radio out with the OEM bluetooth one and everything works fine, i just need to find a diagram on how to re-pin the harness because you can hear a little bit of white noise when the bluetooth is running, but all and all it works