New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baby Boomer Buys '99 Accent

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Default Baby Boomer Buys '99 Accent

Hi Folks

Just registered for this site and would like to tell you fellow owners, a senior's impressions of my '99 Accent GSi (owned 1 month now !!).
Well....I found something economical, and puts the FUN back in driving (makes me feel 20-ish again !!). Yes I know it's the last year of the first generation of the Accent....but I'm the first model of the "baby boomers".

What did I get for my $1300 CDN ? ......... a slightly used (183,000 km= 110,000 miles) silver GSi with rebuilt tranny and new clutch (12 month warranty on both), new plugs and wires,air/gas filter,new battery,alternator, brake job (rotors,pads,rear drums), new catalytic (modifyed.in line...not OEM), 4 new tires + 2 snow tires and rims, factory installed AC (last year), and after-market alarm system with keyless door locks. New wiper blades and bright white(Sylvania) headlamps also.Paint is excellent (no rust except 2 small paint chips at front of hood and a little paint missing from bumper,(previous owner's sister hit bumper in bicycle accident).

Car required NOTHING to pass Ontario safety test and only replace original oxygen sensor (by exhaust manifold) to pass "E" test Actually both oxy-sensors are ahead of catalytic(see above) but no "check engine" light comes on. I can't find anything to DO to car except upgrade factory radio to one with CD player (that reads mp3's...I have 20 dics I've made), and put red bulbs in instrument cluster.

I took the car in to my local Hyundai dealer for the first time as new owner, and now I'm registered with Hyundai Canada, and dealer gave me free license plate frames with clear plastic covers and had oil change done. Cooling system was flushed and changed(didn't need it mechanic said) and had new Hyundai\Kia filter and 5W20 Hyundai synth oil (in plastic bottles)....man that's a big blue filter...the size of toilet paper roll !!!!!.

I've read some other posts here about MODS you can do to the 1.5 engine, but 92 hp is just fine for me as the car (with me in it) only weighs 2250 lbs and still has enough zip and performance to handle our hiways and expressways, and provides all the exersize retired people need. It's actually a blessing to have manual windows, 5 speed and steering that lets you feel the road......rather than drive a 3 ton beast with power everything. I doubt I'll be falling asleep at the wheel in my Accent.

It's too bad winter has arrived (snowed today...damn), 'cause I really want to spend my time turning my leather-covered steering wheel, and shifting up/down through the gears on winding twisting bends in the back country roads. I even like the long throw shifting, as it keeps my whole arm in shape, and is good for hand-eye-foot co-ordination.

Sorry for my ramblings here, but just wanted to let younger generations know that even retired people can get a thrill behind the wheel of a 4 banger with a stick.

regards; Terry

Old 11-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Baby Boomer Buys '99 Accent

With a stick shift, 92 hp should be more than adequate. I had a Ford Aspire (updated Festiva) with a 5-speed and had plenty of fun with 63 hp.