New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas treatment/Fuel Injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Default Gas treatment/Fuel Injector cleaner

Anybody know any good Gas Treatment and Fuel Injector cleaners?

Might have water in tank or clogged Injectors.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Default RE: Gas treatment/Fuel Injector cleaner

Pennzoil and STP were recently rated two of the better ones in the industry. I've used the Pennzoil types for several years without any problems. I've never tried STP. I'm happy with pennzoil additives (octane boost & fuel inj/carb cleaner), so I have no reason to change.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:54 AM

Yeah I went with STP injector cleaner I trust STP.

Thanks for all the help

Old 01-20-2007, 05:59 PM

For many years I have done my own car repairs from simple to rebuilds. Got other things to do now, so I bought two new Hyunadais, Entourage for the wife and Santa Fe for me.I hope not to have to work on them other than basic maintenance and up-keep.I have never found any injector cleaner that would work once they clog up short of removing and having it cleaned using ultrasound. I also listen to a Sat. morning, 0600-0800 cars talk show on 570 KVI, by Tom Turner. He has a regular shop and races cars. I have asked him that very same question. His response was that additives maintain,but will not clean the injectors. If you use discount gas, add Techron additive to every other tank, or stay wilth brand names, i.e. Chevron, Shell, etc...

Old 01-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Furthermore, if you own a newer Hyundai, be aware that fuel injector cleaners can actually DAMAGE the sensors in your car. Current gasolines have detergent additives and no additional additives are generally needed to keep fuel injectors clean. I used Techron once with a full tank of gas and ended up needing a new O2 sensor.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:25 AM

I use Sea Foam products and I've never had any problems and I can notice a difference everytime I use it. I add it to my vacum Lines, gas tank and crankcase before I do oil change.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:05 PM

STP was a brand I always used on my old car, and it never failed me. My mom lives for prolong, everything prolong and she swares it saved her engine a few times.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

This isn't your old car. Newer cars have more sensors and they are now the emissions testing device (the test now consists of simply reading the Check Engine Light codes). As such, the sensors are more intricate, sensitive, and held to tighter tolerances.

You can use whatever you want, but I used Techron once and ended up having to get a sensor replaced.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:01 PM

I based my suggestion an previous car, 97 Explorer. I did call the ford dealer and asked what was compatible.I will call the Hyundai tach and ask as you may be right. So far, I have stayed awat from budget fuels and have added Techron only several times to my Entourage without problems.Incidentally, my favorute brand of fuel is Chevron that contains Techron as part of their fuel treatment as well as Shell.I have to pick up my plates from my dealer today and will ask if any product should be avoided or is not compatible with their fuel system.
Forgive me if I sound as if I'mquestioning your diagnosis as I'm not, but could there have been some other problem that caused to 02 sensor to go out and how many miles was on it.

Cars and engines are my hobby and I do a lot of research, mainly reading reviews and tech stuff.Idont rebuild any more unless its for repair.Some guys will swear by a product while another swears at it. But there are products that consistently perform poorly.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know for sure that the Techron caused the O2 sensor failure, just passing along what happened to me. As always, your mileage may vary.