New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have no idea how this happened 2012 Hyundai Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 08:52 AM
Default I have no idea how this happened 2012 Hyundai Sonata

Good morning, my check engine light is on so I took my car to be looked at I was told I had a vapor leak I got a smoke test was told I needed to replace my vent control valve, brought it and set up a day for my car to be fixed 2 days before I could drop it off my car started having problems starting and the oil light started flashing and it wouldn’t accelerate properly like I couldn’t go pass 50 and if I was on a hill would barely go 20. So I took it to the mechanic let him know the new problem I have been having, when I talked to him he told me I did Need the part but it won’t fix the new problem he said he saw metal shreds in my oil and that my car was dry which part of me wonders how come he didn’t notice when he did the earlier test my question is really what should I do take it to the dealer and get a second look the dealer did my oil change I got my last oil change in April

Last edited by Chan784; 07-04-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:09 AM

Evap system doesn't have much to do with the oil level.
So mechanic didn't need to check this.
He could have and charged you for it?
Did he charge you for checking oil or oil change?
Not mechanics fault.

Question comes up of why the owner never checked the oil level????
It is just go habit to check it at least once a week. Once a day would be better.
But, reality is we don't always have time.

Good luck to you in resolving this issue.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:38 AM

I guess if we was doing a diagnostic check which would be for everything that would have came up but not blaming the mechanic just trying to figure out how does this happen hopefully Monday I can get some answers if my car is savable

Old 07-04-2019, 07:04 PM

Anytime we see metal particles in the engine oil, that is not good at all.~
There have been problems with some Hyundai engines self destructing due to debris left in the crankshaft passages. Don't know if your vehicle would be covered with this program. If the dealership decides it falls in the covered group, you get a new engine, paid by Hyundai.

If not covered, you have 2 choices,
replace the engine with a rebuilt one or a salvage yard engine. Unfortunately, you will probably bear all the cost for this.
The next big question is , where did all the oil go?
Did it leak out and you didn't notice any puddles,or did it go out while driving ? Some things should be checked , like the motor oil level. Not a difficult thing to do .
There is also the question of the last oil change, lot of questions there. Dealership problem, don't know.