New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sante fe problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Default sante fe problem

Hey, does anyone else have this POS ride? I live on a gravel road and every day my wheel balance and ride go out. Dealer says it caused by dirt and gravel settling on the inside surface of the wheels overnight and they suggest I powerwash them good to get it off. Is this something that is happening to others I cant believe they think that is guality engineering

Old 12-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: sante fe problem

That's not Hyundais fault. The problem is the roads you are driving one. Yes, the dealer is correct.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:03 AM

Dunno, if the dealer is right on this. I don't live or drive on any gravel/dirt roads. Most of my driving is highway and I get that vibration/wheels out of balance feeling in my new '08 Santa Fe. I took it in, they Road Force Balanced the wheels, and I still have the minor vibrations like their out of balance at speeds 45MPH +. From what I've read this has been an issue with the 2007 and 2008 models that Hyundai has does nothing about. I've had no luck with my service department, they claim there is no vibration, though everyone else that rides in the car can feel it...

Old 01-13-2009, 11:56 PM

cALL YOUR LOCAL nEWS cHANNEL WHO JUST LOVES STORIES LIKE THIS TO WORK ON...

Old 01-14-2009, 05:21 AM
Banned

Some other people are posting about vibration problems. Some have said there is a problem with the balance of the axle shafts in the rear. Other people report that the stock tires are defective.

Here is the Technical Service Bullitin on the subject:

Technical Service
Bulletin
Subject
Group
Number
Date
Model
CIRCULATE TO: [ ] GENERAL MANAGER
[X] SERVICE ADVISOR [X] SERVICE MANAGER [X] WARRANTY MGR [ ] SALES MANAGER
[X] PARTS MANAGER [X] TECHNICIAN
SUSPENSION
08-SS-003
MARCH, 2008
ALL
TIRE AND WHEEL VIBRATION AND RADIAL
FORCE VARIATION
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TSB# 06-50-013 TO INCLUDE 2008 MODEL YEAR
VEHICLES.
NOTE: Each wheel and tire assembly is precision balanced and force match
mounted before the vehicle leaves the assembly line. Dealers should not
alter the dynamic balance of any wheel unless a customer describes
experiencing a tire/wheel vibration condition.
DESCRIPTION:
A customer may describe a steering wheel vibration or "shimmy" condition in the
vehicle. Sources of vibration/shimmy may be from the following conditions:
1. Wheel and tire assembly out of balance
2. Wheel out of round
3. Tire assembly stiffness variation (Radial Force Variation or RFV)
RFV (Radial Force Variation) may be defined as the amount of change in stiffness of
the sidewall and footprint when a load is placed against a tire.
Wheel and tire assembly imbalance should be addressed first because it is the most
common cause of vibration. A well maintained off-vehicle, two-plane dynamic wheel
balancer can accurately correct this condition.
If a vibration or shimmy is still present after an imbalance condition is corrected, any
out-of-round condition of the wheel and force variation of the tire must be addressed.
NOTE: All of the above conditions may be addressed at the same time if
equipment is available such as the Hunter GSP 9700, which is a two-plane
wheel balancer.
Page 2 of 3
For proper diagnosis, it is important that the wheel run-out and tire assembly
stiffness variations be measured and, if necessary, corrected before replacing
any component(s) on the vehicle.
COMMENT:
To correct vehicle vibrations caused by wheel out-of-round and tire stiffness variations,
access to a Hunter GSP 9700 or equivalent wheel balancing machine is necessary. If
you do not have access to such equipment, it may be located through the Hunter
website (www.gsp9700.com).
For information about the purchase of a Hunter GSP 9700 and Hyundai's special
pricing, please visit website (http://hyundai.spx.com).
Follow the machine manufacturer's procedure to measure and correct wheel and tire
assembly RFV related vehicle vibrations.
The following assembly RFV may be used as guide:
??? P-Metric passenger vehicle wheel and tire assemblies = 18 ~20 lbs or less
??? P-Metric SUV and Van wheel and tire assemblies = 24 ~27 lbs or less
Page 3 of 3
Technical Service
Bulletin
Group
Number
NOTE: This information is a guideline, and the RFV range accounts for machine
variability.
If force match mounting the wheel and tire assembly to the above guideline
cannot be achieved, it may be necessary to replace a wheel or tire or both to correct
the vibration condition (see note below before replacing any part). Since tires can
sometimes become temporarily flat-spotted, the RFV should be measured
immediately after the vehicle is driven at least 10 miles. (If the RFV cannot be
measured immediately after the vehicle has been driven at least 10 miles, elevate the
vehicle on a hoist with the wheels hanging to stop the tires from flat-spotting). Tire
pressure must also be adjusted to the recommended pressure shown on the driver's
door or B-Pillar.
NOTE: If the vehicle vibration condition cannot be improved to an acceptable
level using the above procedure or a tire or wheel is required to be
replaced to correct this condition, contact the Hyundai Technical
Assistance line at (800) 325-6604.
REQUEST TO CALLING TECHNICIAN:
The dealer technician must provide the following information to the Technical
Assistance Line:
1. Customer description of the condition
2. VIN
3. Mileage
4. Tire size
5. Tire manufacturer
6. Tire condition
7. Wheel - alloy or steel
8. Wheel Hyundai or aftermarket
9. Imbalance values (inside and outside)
10. 1st and 2nd order RFV values in lbs
11. Wheel run-out values (radial and axial)
12. Location of the wheel on vehicle (RF, LF, RR, LR)
NOTE: Printed copy of any of the above information will be appreciated.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:31 AM
Banned

I think a lot of these cars sat on the lot for too long and didn't get sold last year, and the tire pressure was low. If the car sat for too long in one place with low air pressure, it might make flat spots on the tires.

Here's another TSB:

TIRE AND WHEEL VIBRATION ANDRADIAL FORCE VARIATION[/align]DESCRIPTION:[/align]This bulletin provides guidelines when using a dynamic wheel balance machine capable of providing road force measurement data, such as the Hunter GSP9700 Vibration Control System.[/align]Tire and wheel vibration may be caused by:[/align]Imbalance[/align]Wheel Damage or Out-of Round[/align]Tire RFV (Radial Force Variation)[/align][/ul]Imbalance is normally addressed first because it is the most common cause of vibration. A well maintained off-vehicle two-plane dynamic wheel balancer can accurately correct this condition.[/align]If a vibration or shake still exists after an imbalance has been corrected, a possible wheel out-of round condition should be addressed next.[/align]Wheel Damage or Out-of Round conditions should be measured and corrected using the procedure outlined in the appropriate Shop Manuals in the Suspension System, Tires/Wheels section.[/align]If the vibration condition still continues, there is a possibility that a tire may have Radial Force Variation (RFV) in excess of specifications. RFV may be defined as the amount of change in stiffness of the sidewall and footprint when a load is placed against a tire. Subtle differences in the position of the cords and belts in a tires construction can create stiff spots that make the tire roll unevenly. The stiff spots act like runout to cause vibrations at various speeds. The vibrations caused by RFV tend to appear at certain speeds and then disappear as the speed changes.[/align]To address RFV, a wheel balancer capable of measuring RFV, such as the Hunter GSP9700 is recommended. If you do not have the recommended equipment, you may locate one in your vicinity through the Hunter website (www.gsp700.com).[/align][/align]Follow the machine manufacturers procedure to measure RFV.[/align]The following assembly RFV may be used as a guide:[/align]P-Metric passenger car tires -> 18 lbs or less[/align]P-Metric tires on Santa Fe ->is 24 lbs or less.[/align][/ul]If match mounting tires to in-specification wheels produces assembly RFV values that are higher, then tire replacement may be necessary. Replacing tires at lower values will probably mean good RFV tires are being replaced needlessly. Since tires can sometimes become temporarily flat-spotted, the RFV should not be measured until the vehicle is driven at least 10 miles. Tire pressure must also be adjusted to the usage pressure on the vehicles tire pressure label on the drivers door or B-Pillar.[/align]In cases where the wheel vibration condition cannot be improved to an acceptable level using the above procedure, the Hyundai Technical Assistance line should be contacted for further instructions.[/align][/align][/align][/align]

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 02:31 PM.