General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2009 Sonata Fuel Tank Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 04:04 PM
Default 2009 Sonata Fuel Tank Removal

Hello members !! Has anyone here ever had to remove the fuel tank from a 2009 Sonata?? Looking for some idea on what's involved. Could not find any videos on YouTube on this task. We just spent a lot of money on the car and now I am pretty sure the tank is leaking. Do any of the shop manuals they sell online cover fuel tank removal? Looking for something to guide me. Would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks

Old 04-27-2023, 08:04 AM

Please don't misunderstand what I am suggesting.

If you need instructions on removing a fuel tank assy safely you should not be attempting it's removal.

There are hi fuel line pressure,, weight of tank that has fuel still in it , and a few other safety considerations you may not be aware and should consider having a capable shop handle the job.

It wouldn't be the first time gasoline leaked onto a hot droplight bulb and started a fire.
Gasoline today is not good to get on your bare hands and those who choose to ignore the problem are not aware of the problems it can produce.

Old 04-27-2023, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Please don't misunderstand what I am suggesting.

If you need instructions on removing a fuel tank assy safely you should not be attempting it's removal.

There are hi fuel line pressure,, weight of tank that has fuel still in it , and a few other safety considerations you may not be aware and should consider having a capable shop handle the job.

It wouldn't be the first time gasoline leaked onto a hot droplight bulb and started a fire.
Gasoline today is not good to get on your bare hands and those who choose to ignore the problem are not aware of the problems it can produce.

I am a retired service mechanic who has worked on several different vehicles over the years, including quite a few tank removals. So sure, I can take the car into a shop and pay ridiculously high labor rates but I have the skill and ability to do the job SAFELY, so why not save on a labor-intensive job. I have never removed a tank on this model car, so I was merely shaking the tree so to speak to see if anyone has attempted it and what issues or problems they may have encountered. I appreciate your safety concerns, but believe me, I am fine with the job. Note: I have already replaced the fuel pump on this car and replaced plastic fuel lines where the original lines were rotted so I am aware that the car has a high-pressure fuel system. The car is on my lift right now and all the fuel in the tank has been pumped out.

Old 04-27-2023, 02:08 PM

Didn't you have to lower the tank to replace the fuel pump? What am I missing?

Old 04-27-2023, 02:18 PM

Nope, there is an access panel in the trunk floor behind the rear seat. The pump and connections are right there. But the tank is shoehorned in there so tightly, it is hard to put a visual on the top or sides at all. I even tried an inspection camera but cannot see where it is leaking. Might just have to lower the tank a bit to see the problem area.

Old 04-27-2023, 07:04 PM

Some radiator repair shops will repair metal fuel tanks, because they have the facilities to clean them and if the metal is good will effect a good repair.
If the tank is too far gone , you will need to replace it. I am aware you know all this now that you told us.
As I'm sure you also are aware , if you still have not found the leak, it could be only a rusted connection or piece of tubing from the sending unit.

Old 04-28-2023, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Some radiator repair shops will repair metal fuel tanks, because they have the facilities to clean them and if the metal is good will effect a good repair.
If the tank is too far gone , you will need to replace it. I am aware you know all this now that you told us.
As I'm sure you also are aware , if you still have not found the leak, it could be only a rusted connection or piece of tubing from the sending unit.
Actually, I never thought about repairing the tank at a radiator shop. Makes sense. But overall, it is pretty rusted. Thanks for the suggestion.