General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Radio Control Loss After Clockspring Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 10:48 AM
Unhappy Radio Control Loss After Clockspring Replacement

Hi All,

New to the Forum...looks like a great resource for Hyundai owners!

Here's my problem: Had an airbag light on in my 2012 Sonata GLS. The clockspring was replaced under warrantee...no more airbag light. But, immediately after I lost use of all radio control buttons, both on steering wheel and on the radio itself (only radio controls that work are the two ***** on the radio itself...so I can turn it on/off with left **** and search only FM stations with right ****...none of the push buttons on the radio itself or the radio control buttons on the steering wheel work). Went back to dealer who rechecked and said this has nothing to do with their clockspring replacement, recommended radio be replaced (for $1065). Got another radio from a junkyard (not trying to be cheap, love the car but it does have 110,000 miles on it), replaced the radio myself and found no change to the problem. SO, my conclusion is that the radio is not the problem, and I have little doubt that the clockspring replacement is somehow to blame for this issue...I just don't know how and I'm not sure how to proceed. I just want my radio to work again. Any thoughts out there?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-13-2022, 04:33 PM

This is a kinda touchy situation because we don't know if you can prove the radio worked before they replaced the clockspring.

There is the possibility of a problem with the radio, we don't know for sure. There are a couple of options as I see it.

No sense going back to the original dealership.
You might get another opinion from another dealership, not always easy..
Or you could have a radio repair /installation place check your vehicle..
Either way, you will most likely incur some expense,,,,,,but you will get the radio back to playing and if it can be proven the original dealer messed up the installation, , if that is the case, then I would consult some legal counsel to determine if going after the original dealer is warranted.
What do you think?