General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rebuilt engine surges and stalls

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 08:10 PM
Default Rebuilt engine surges and stalls

I rebuilt the engine on a 2011 veracruz. Now I can't get it started properly. It surges and stalls after a few seconds. Here's what I checked so far:

- Fuel pressure good

- No vacuum leaks

- New throttle body and relearned

- New O2 sensors, spark plugs, and injectors

- No codes!!

I have been at this for a couple weeks and completely lost now. Someone said the ECM could be out - is that common? I read that the mass airflow sensor could be out, but wouldn't that throw a code??

It hasn't been driven since putting the engine back in. I start it up and it surges and runs for a few seconds then stalls. Then it's difficult to start back up again.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Old 09-30-2023, 06:16 PM

If after it stalls, can you give a shot of carb and choke cleaner into the intake? If it starts then , we have a fuel supply problem.

If not check for spark, you will either have it or not, need to know that.

When we disconnect the MAF sensor, the computer substitutes values to keep it running and if it starts with MAF disconnected , MAF is suspect.
ONLY DISCONNECT THE MAF WITH THE KEY OFF.
We would like to think every problem throws a code, but ,"It just aint so" Most times a code only provides some direction on where to start checking or what system is involved.