General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sonata Engine Flooding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 09:03 PM
Default Sonata Engine Flooding?

I'm a 5 out of 10 mechanic at best, but I can part swap with the best of them. My 2013 Sonata started struggling to accelerate a few months back. Suspected the high pressure fuel pump was going out, as she ran, but accelerated poorly. Limped it along for a week while I waited for the part, only to have her stop turning over altogether. Suspected the added strain had burnt out the electric pump on the tank.

Got all new assemblies of both. Swapped them out with little issue, and she cranked right up. Accelerated great.

A day later, I was on the freeway attempting to pass. Dropped the pedal to the floor. She roared....Then sputtered and died... Pulled over and the girl wouldn't turn over. Got a ride home. Came back a couple hours later with a trunk full of tools, and she cranked right up. Figured it was a one off, but it has happened 3-4 times since then. Always following max acceleration.

I suspect it is somehow flooding the engine, and it is vaporing out while it sits in the intermittent time. The problem is that I have no idea why or how this is happening. Was there some kind of adjustment to be made on the pump before installation? Faulty pump? Or am I completely off the mark? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-25-2022, 07:03 AM

To confirm what you suspect,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,remove a spark plug if it is really wet , two possibilities,
Engine flooded or no spark to ignite the fuel.

If it is only flooded,, hold the throttle pedal to the floor , that places the system in , "Clear Flood Mode". This cancels fuel injection and allows air to take out the excess fuel. After a few engine revolutions it should start running.take your foot off the throttle pedal so it doesn't rev up too high.
If it doesn't start then ,,,,,,,,,,,something else is wrong.
Lets take this one at a time, OK?