Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

New fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 02:13 PM
Default New fuel pump

Gents; The misses very rarely will ride with me in my 2007 manual 4 cyl Sonata....my boys don't even want to drive it because they can't figure out a stick. Anyway, the misses was forced to ride with me to the local VA....which she also doesn't like. Says there's too many old timers with buttons, hats and thin scraggly white hair with their overweight wives....but I digress. On the way home in the middle of thick traffic my precious little Sonata went kapoot. To say the misses was upset is well, I slept on the couch that night. I had to have the auto towed home which cost a few bucks but all in all was not too bad. After trouble shooting I discovered the fuel pump was not turning so I removed it...fun. I told my wife I couldn't understand why the pump went bad because I just replaced it (6 years ago) anticipating a problem. Incidentally, the auto now has 198K miles on it. That replacement pump should have lasted much longer because the Hyundai pump I took out was still running at 160k miles. Here's what I discovered, the replacement pump I put in was an Airtex pump. It was way cheaper than the Hyundai one but was not the cheapest. There is a huge difference in prices of the offered pumps and after much reading I discovered they are all considered inferior....Bosh Carter and u guessed it Airtex. Actually, I don't believe this but my Airtex pump did go out in only 40K miles. So this time around I bellied up to the bar and bought the OEM Hyundai pump. I don't want to get stuck on a hot day in thick traffic with these unforgiving honking drivers around me.....needless to say the misses will never get in my car again. Lucky me!

Old 09-09-2019, 04:13 PM

Sir you have my sympathy, why? BECAUSE you are not alone !
Anyway, after market "stuff" sometimes might outlast OEM, but not that often.
The majority of the time OEM, in spite of the addl cost is the better way to go.
When $$ is an issue sometimes there is no choice.
I believe it will be a good move on your part to confirm the electrical supply and ground to your vehicle's fuel pump is up to par. Many good pumps get replaced because the person checking overlooked those two important items.
Don't feel bad, my wife still won't let me work on our wheelbarrow, and you have to know when you have it good !!