Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2005 Sonata V6 Aftermarket radio will not power on

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 08:38 AM
Question 2005 Sonata V6 Aftermarket radio will not power on

I am trying to install an aftermarket radio in a 2005 Sonata V6. All wires are correct. Used a voltmeter to test wires, has power. Ground is good. Fuses are fine. Radio is a boss double din 850brgb. It simply will not power on. Any suggestions as of why it wont turn on?

Old 09-14-2019, 08:44 AM

Where did you purchase the radio?
Have you attempted to get an answer from that company?
There is always the possibility the radio is defective.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:57 AM

Got the radio from amazon and haven't called them yet. Wanted to cover all my bases as far as things to check before i send it back or anything. Wondering if there's anything stupid that i missed. I have installed radios before and they always worked after fixing some problem or other, but i am no expert and I'm going off youtube tutorials and forums like this for guidance. I know I've probably missed something.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:10 AM

I'm pretty sure Amazon will not be able to offer much help.
You will need to contact the radio manufacturer.
If you followed all the installation instructions to the letter it should power up.
If you have done this before , at least you have some idea what goes where.
If after all the checks have bee done ,and installation instructions have been rechecked (every step)
and it still doesn't power up there is always the possibility the product is defective. That is where the manufacturers product support should come to your rescue.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:21 AM

So I just went and plugged in another aftermarket radio I had sitting around. I know this one works. Different brand but same plug shape as the one wired into the car. It did not power on, so the problem must be in the car somewhere. If the radio was defective, the other one would have powered on.

May not be related, but after reconnecting the battery and testing the radio the first time, the rpm and fuel gauges didn't drop back down after turning the car off.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:55 AM

You stated you checked with a voltmeter and had power, yes -no ?
If you had power and confirmed it at the plug at the proper position , see why I am questioning 2 different scenerios ?

Old 09-14-2019, 10:11 AM

Yes.Constant has power. I unplugged the battery, took the wirenut off, plugged the battery in and checked that it had power before i redid it all and tried it again.

The other aftermarket radio (Radio#2) was something i had taken out of a different and unrelated car because it didn't have bluetooth. I know that Radio#2 works, because it worked in the other car and has only been sitting on a shelf.

So the Sonata has power going into the plug, and will not turn on the untested Radio#1 and the tested and not defective Radio#2.

Don't worry about my gauges if they're not related to the radio situation.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:49 AM

Update: Ignore Radio#2 and the other car altogether. Hooked the radio i wanted to install directly to the battery. It came on. It is definitely not the radio.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:06 PM

I don't know just what kind of radio you have, but usually,

If the radio requires any kind of power to retain memory, that means power has to be available to that wire all the time.
If you want the radio to work only when the key is on or in accessory position there should be a wire for that from the radio to a point that has power only when the key is on..
There has to be a separate wire specifically for ground. (a lot of vehicles have plastic everything so you cannot count on the radio mounting for a ground.
If the radio has provision for an electric antenna , that could be another wire coming off the radio.
Speakers wires are usually separate from the above plugs/wires. You probably know all this, but sometimes we overlook things.

Good practice includes a fuse in the wires supplying constant power and ign power.. If the fuse holders didn't come with the radio, you can get them at any auto supply store.
It's nice when something quits and it only blows it's own fuse instead of messing up the whole vehicle.

Old 09-14-2019, 02:09 PM

Well, using a voltmeter, test the wires again.
There are a few wires.
One is constant power for the memory of the radio.
Second is power when the ignition is turned on
Third is the wire for the ground/return.
Those are the necessary wires
As it sounds, the wire that is suppose to be hot when the ignition is on ... is not turning on.