Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2009 with bad oil consumption - redesigned valve cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 12:53 PM
Angry 2009 with bad oil consumption - redesigned valve cover?

I have a 2009 Accent (Man. transmission) that has been using oil like crazy but not leaking it; it just disappears. When I crank it in the morning and after work, a cloud of smoke come out of the tail pipe. The first time they said it was missing the oil drain plug and some valve seals were leaking, so they fixed all that. The second time, the "air box" was full of oil so they changed out the PCV valve. A week later I take it in again because I'm completely dry on oil and the car is having stalling issues as I try to crank it.
The guy thinks it's something to do with a baffle, but then they finally called a Hyundai tech to try and diagnose my issue. He told them that the valve covers on older Hyundais was designed poorly and the company redesigned them so that the high pressure in the pistons wouldn't cause this issue of excessive oil consumption. Tech tells them it was never a recall, just a technical bulletin or something.
Has anyone heard of this? I'm super frustrated with my mechanic (and already spending close to $400 on the previous "repairs") and they quoted me about $400 to replace my valve cover with the new model. I'm kind of thinking about doing it myself or having a friend do it...

Old 08-07-2020, 02:04 PM

The "General Rule" is to do a visual check, check for codes, then check for Technical Service Bulletins.
Some shops do not have the info available to ck for bulletins so they don't know what corrections are available.
Sometimes if possible you might need to have a dealer or shop with advanced info check your vehicle if problems persist.
Unfortunately, the more up to date shops charge more because they have to pay for that info too.
Seems like we can't win because the costs keep going up.

Old 08-07-2020, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jessica Franco
I have a 2009 Accent (Man. transmission) that has been using oil like crazy but not leaking it; it just disappears. When I crank it in the morning and after work, a cloud of smoke come out of the tail pipe. The first time they said it was missing the oil drain plug and some valve seals were leaking, so they fixed all that. The second time, the "air box" was full of oil so they changed out the PCV valve. A week later I take it in again because I'm completely dry on oil and the car is having stalling issues as I try to crank it.
The guy thinks it's something to do with a baffle, but then they finally called a Hyundai tech to try and diagnose my issue. He told them that the valve covers on older Hyundais was designed poorly and the company redesigned them so that the high pressure in the pistons wouldn't cause this issue of excessive oil consumption. Tech tells them it was never a recall, just a technical bulletin or something.
Has anyone heard of this? I'm super frustrated with my mechanic (and already spending close to $400 on the previous "repairs") and they quoted me about $400 to replace my valve cover with the new model. I'm kind of thinking about doing it myself or having a friend do it...
Missing oil drain plug??
Your engine would have seized very soon after all the oil drained out.
Valve seals??? Air cleaner box was full of oil??
Yeah, means the rings on the pistons are worn and/or stuck EGR
Blow by is pushing air into the crank case which is going to the PCV and EGR.
In my bad opinion, you have a very bad engine which is going to die.
Trying to fix it in bits and pieces will cost you more than the car is worth.

Of course I could be wrong???

Last edited by avisitor; 08-07-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:31 PM

How many miles on it?

Old 08-10-2020, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jessica Franco
Sounds like it's time to get rid of it not worth investing more $$$$$ into.