Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2010 Accent issues. Rpm gauge drops to 0, check gas cap light, no CEL

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 04:17 PM
Default 2010 Accent issues. Rpm gauge drops to 0, check gas cap light, no CEL

Hello everyone, my 2010 Accent with 145k miles has begun to give me some problems. I値l list them in order of occurrence:

1. My car would have difficult starting after filling up the gas. This seems to have been remedied by replacing the purge valve. I have only filled it up once since replacing the valve however, so we値l see if that truly fixes it.

2. My cars rpm gauge will drop to zero, however there is no noticeable stutter or drop in performance.

3. When the rpm gauge drops to zero, the check engine light will turn on for a second or less, then immediately turn and stay off.

4. After the check engine light goes off, my check gas cap light will turn on and stay on. When I restart my car, this light or any others will stay on.

5. My car stalled while idling at a light today, throwing up the check battery and check oil lights. Based on a brief google search, I do not believe this is caused by either the battery or engine oil. I was able to restart it without issue, no lights came on. This occurred without the rpm gauge dropping to 0, and did not repeat itself while idling at further lights.

This morning I had my oil and transmission fluid changed without issue. All these symptoms, except for 1, have only begun within the last week. There is no shaking in my car, gas mileage has not suffered, there are no further issues than what I致e stated.

I知 looking for ideas on where to start fixing this on my own, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

thank you everyone in advance for your responses!

Last edited by Eric Ehrenberger; 02-12-2020 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Further info
Old 02-13-2020, 11:45 AM

Just so we don't overlook anything.
Do you continue to add fuel after the pump shuts off at the filling station trying to get as much fuel into the tank as possible.?
Let's hope not ! If you do ,this causes problems with the Evaporative Emissions System and the charcoal from the vapor canister which is only supposed to handle vapor now gets flooded with liquid and problems with charcoal granules get into the emission system valves and cause problems.
Difficult to distinguish at this time if problem is electrical or electrical problem is resulting due to some other reason.
Most likely will require some additional testing to determine what is going on.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:27 PM

Well, my car ended up stalling and wouldn稚 restart. Had it towed to a shop and the following is what the verdict is:

bad purge valve, bad crank sensor. Since getting it repaired, the car has been fine so far.

Old 02-19-2020, 03:12 AM

Glad you got it straightened out,
Thanks for the update,