Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2010 Accent overheated. No start

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 09:02 PM

You're really brave.
Maybe my thoughts run along some different lines. You know the head has had it, Speaking for myself and a lot of guys I know, we dislike with a passion doing a job over, what is worse it doing it on your own vehicle because you don't get paid the first time and talk about hurt, it really hurts to have to do a job over because you considered a shortcut. No one knows your situation better than you, and maybe you will get lucky.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:49 AM

Your right Hanky, this ain’t no vw bug. We once blew a piston at the beach. Pulled motor, took it home, removed bad piston. Stuck motor back in at beach and ran it As a 3banger all summer!

I need to find a tutorial for this 2010. I’m following a great YouTube for head gaskets on an earlier 1.6 with out coil packs.

do you know if I can get this head off by un bolting intake the intake manifold In engine bay?

Old 06-25-2020, 12:57 PM

I decided that the intakE had be completely off. hurray! The head is now off ! I’m surprised at all the oil everywhere. Maybe it blew an oil gasket?? I read It’s a 3rd generation 1.6 MP1. 2005 to 2011 engine . Next move. Clean it. And see if block top is straight. Cylinder walls look good

Pic of pistons after removing head

any other checks to verify if the bottom end is ok?

Old 06-25-2020, 01:26 PM

Ouch !
What does the oil dip stick look like and smell like and how much oil is left in the engine?
The piston on the left side in the picture does not look good at all. The other three seem fairly dry ,but that last one may tell you there is more damage than can be seen.
Can you see anything to explain how all the oil got all over the piston?
I can't tell for sure, but is it just the picture or did the pistons get that pretty shade of blue from high heat ? If it is from heat,.wouldn't consider any further work on that engine.
What do you think?

Old 06-26-2020, 09:33 AM

Cleaned up with paper towel. Kinda looks ok. Maybe engine was over filled with oil when it blew? Or oil boiling in pan? I’ll drain oil and see if metal is in pan. Thoughts. Any bottom end checks to try

Old 06-26-2020, 09:53 AM

My question is how did so much oil get on the head gasket?
Are the valve guides leaking oil?
Is the head gasket ok? Any breaks?
PCV or EGR stuck?
Sorry, just makes me wonder what was causing the oil to do that??

After cleaning up the oil, the top of the cylinders and pistons looks ok?
So, are re-using the old head or putting in another one?

Old 06-26-2020, 10:38 AM

Hanky, The oil every where is crazy. The dip stick shows an inch over full mark. I’m pretty sure my kid added oil after it blew and him and is friends cranked and cranked trying to get it to start. When I got It, I did some cranking checking for spark and fuel. Would the extra oil and all the cranking with a warped head gasket cause the oil splatter?

Old 06-26-2020, 04:12 PM

Something you might look for, you would need to check and make sure you found an oil passage up from the block to the head .I can't offer any suggestion where it might be located because I don't know. Once you have determined where the oil passage is located , that might help answer how all the oil got all over everything.
As more time goes by , you will probably get a more accurate description of exactly what happened and what was done. You have your hands full and I hope all your hard work will pay off, but right now it seems there is a lot of mystery surrounding this whole thing. Good thing you like this kind of work or don't you ? lol

Were you able to get any info on the coolant and if any was added?
If you pulled the oil pan drain plug , did any coolant come out first?
I believe it would be a good idea to drop the oil pan and see what you have.
We don't know if there was a hydrostatic lock with all the oil in the cyls. If so could have a bent rod. Here is where the shortcut appears and could influence the result of the job. Even f the head appears OK, there could be a crack somewhere and blow the whole job. Most of the time I decided to gamble with a job , I regretted it. Some folks are just lucky and that is why I don't play the lottery . lol.
How wiuld you feel if after you buttoned everything up and after starting the engine you heard a rod knock ? You can see where this is going , right?

Old 06-27-2020, 01:59 PM

Hanky, I drained the oil yesterday, it smelled burned, No metal shavings , no coolant in the oil. I did have oil in the radiator water. Which was unusual. My Son says the car was going ok and when steam came out the hood he stopped. He heard no loud knocking noise. Wouldn’t a knock be heard when I was cranking it?

in the front middle head passage holes there was a little spring in it with a lot of carbon. Is that something you have seen?

theres a shop in Chattanooga that does heads and engines and they want to look at the head befor we go and buy a rebuilt one
I’ll go Monday if all goes well.

Old 06-27-2020, 02:07 PM

Picture of block with little spring. There is a little ball in the hole with spring on top. The spring is on left side, outer hole. I bent it a little digging it out.

Quick Reply: 2010 Accent overheated. No start