Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

After fill up

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Default After fill up

After each time I fill my car with gas, it is difficult to start and runs rough for 5-10 seconds. I have tried filling slower and always stop pumping at the first click. Anyone had this problem? 2001 Accent 1.5 5speed.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: After fill up

I suspect it is unrelated to filling the tank. It is probably just a hot start issue. Try this- when you fill your tank, time how long it takes. Then, sometime, drive the car for a while and park it for the same amount of time, then restart it. If it is difficult to start, you've eliminated the filling as the culprit.

It could be something in the fuel system though that behaves improperly when the engine is hot.... kind of like vapor lock.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 AM

I tried but it only does it after filling up and each time. I'm thinking maybe a stuck purge valve on the canister??

Old 07-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

You're not getting a check engine light? That might help diagnose it. It could be an evap system issue, or maybe something with the fuel pump, or idle air crontroller, or probably other things I can't think of right now.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:20 PM

Check engine light does come on. The code is for gas cap and evap system. I changed the cap, can't visually see or smell any leaks near the canister. If the engine is off while fueling how could it appear flooded when trying to restart?

Old 07-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

There are several evap-related CEL codes. Which specific one are you getting?

I had an evapCEL problem with my Elantra that was fixed under warranty but it took several trips to the dealer before they got it right. I think in the end, replacing *both* an O2 sensor and a purge valve did the trick. In my case, the dealer the fact that the purge valve was not working properly made the O2 sensor go bad.

There is a pretty in-depth troubleshooting chart Hyundai uses to diagnose evap problems; I looked it up whenI was having my CEL issues.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:08 PM

I checked the purge and it works properly. I still can't figure how re-fuelling can someone make the vehicle feel flooded? The code shows a possible stuck purge valve and gas cap problem. I changed the cap but problem still exists. I also noted that before or after driving the car, as you remove the cap there is no pressure buildup. Is this normal?

Old 07-25-2007, 10:00 AM

Still no pressure when removing the fuel cap. Today, as i filled the car i purposely filled it very slowly. Same result, flooding sympton.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:16 AM

hm.. thats weird. I don't notice a pressure when i open my cap either, and everything is running good. It only does it when you re-fuel..? That is weird that it only does it when you fill up. How empty does the tank get, before you re-fuel? Is it almost empty? try putting gas in it at a half tank, and see if it does it... Or even without pumping gas, try taking off the cap, and then replace it, and see if the same symptoms occur.