Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Synthetic Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Default RE: Synthetic Transmission Fluid

There are only really two reasons why I switched my tranny fluid to synthetic.
1) Whatevers in the fluid heats up quicker in colder weather, thus allowing the over drive to kick in quicker. #1 reason for the change.
2) I've noticed no drastic change in the shifting however, the thought of a better fluid that won't break down over time and will last longer.
After checking in with the dealer and the manufacturer, both agree it would not effect on the warrenty.
Sold & done!!! I have no complaints.
All this "hub-bub" between Mr. Kick & Mr. Young with respect to each others opinion is pretty much un-necessary however, it does make interesting reading.
God, I love this place....LOL!!!!
Brant

Old 01-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

I think that I just fell in love with KICK. You are one fast talkin guy.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:54 AM

im sorry to say but if you do not use sp3 or fluid equal like atf+ 3 which has speacial additives, hyundai will not cover your trans under there warranty
i am a tech at hyudai dealer and im telling you right now that it wont be covered.

sorry i dont care what people say here but believe me

also reply to using engine oil as a sub for trans fluid{ are you high?}

and yes you can take you vehical to other places to have maintanence done but you do have to use either factory parts or equivalent

ps. i have denied warr on such vehicals

and it states clearly in you owners manual about use of after market parts that are not equal or better quality

we have also had replace about 6 engines on vehicals (1 with 3,300 miles on it ) because of after market oil filters
not having check valve, size and such

so listen to people who have exparience on hyundai

Old 01-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

OOh, this is a fun subject, I'm not going to chime in it is just fun to watch.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:31 AM

Hi Brant;
I was just trying to be helpfull.
I respect the fact that you got authorization from Hyundai to use a full synthetic transmission fluid and you gave good advice and it makes sense that going one step further and using full synthetic was a wise decision..
Th Hyundai part # fluid after all is a semi synthetic fluid so I can see your reasoning for going full synthetic with Hyundai's approval
On the other hand , I didn't want to see anyone get led astray about someone suggesting dexron fluid in any Hyundai Accent that is still under warranty.

The bottom line is that if the transmission becomes defective under warranty and is found to be using dexron fluid the warranty is automatically null and void. Customer pays total bill , , full parts and labour . . . no if and's or buts.
To validate warranty , receipts MUST be produced showing the exact brand name and type and number of liters of fluid that was used and the mileage at which it was changed whether it was changed by the owner or the dealer..
After the warranty is over I don't care what they use in it. They are going to pay for repairs then anyway if ever required but hopefully they will never have to do a transmission repair if they continue to use the right fluid recommended for their vehichle according to Hyundai and their owners manual..
W.Y.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Well, even with the right fluids no tranny lasts forever.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:10 PM

I totally agree with that Poacher but with proper care it would be nice to have the transmission last the life of the car like they do with most other makes and models . I have never had to replace a transmission in any vehicle I have ever owned and I credit that for changing the fluid regularly and with the right one that is recommended for it. I generally change transmission fluid well ahead of the suggested change intervals. It sure is a lot cheaper than repairs or replacement. I usually deal my vehicles when they get over 250 thousand kilometers on them so I don't really know how much longer they would last or if they would outlast the engine or not.
I do the same with engine oil by changing it way ahead of the recommended mileage and that is probably why I have never had to replace an engine in any vehicle I have owned either.
W.Y.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

This woman I knew had a Chevy Lumina and she had to replace the tranny twice. It wasn't a lemon and she had regular maintenance to the day. The kicker was that she had turned the odometer on the original engine to 300,000 miles!!

Old 02-01-2006, 09:09 PM

WOW ! ! , , 300,000 miles. That must be some kind of a record. That is equal to 482,803.2 kilometers.
That is about twice as long as I keep any vehichle .
I wonder what the record is for Hyundai without major transmission or engine repairs or replacement. Bet it doesn't come close to that Lumina.
W.Y.

Old 02-17-2006, 03:01 PM

Mr Kick,

I don't know what you been smoking, maybe tranny fluid, but there is a vast difference in ATF. I have had to rebuild way too many tansmissions over the years because somebody acted on advise such as yours. Yes, as you say, any Auto tranny can function on a light weight engine oil or old fashion hydraulic fluid without additives. Won't shift worth a plugged nickel, but it won't hurt them too bad. Unfortunately, ATF's are more additive than hydraulic oil anymore and with more and more synthetic parts in the transmission the wrong additives can melt those synthetics or abbrade them badly. Even in the old days if you put GM style fluid in a Ford tranny, you would be in the shop within a few thousand miles. The newer trannies require specific additives for proper lock-up charactoristics, proper cooling charactorists and even proper lubrication.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Transmission Fluid