Hyundai Azera A Hyundai like you've never seen before.

Dashboard Cracked~

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Default RE: Dashboard Cracked~

Just thought I'd let you know that on the Azera's there is a small cracking problem around the airbag cover seam on either side. This has been happening on the azera models and very sporadically on the new elantras and is apparent shortly after construction. Take the vehicle to your local dealership and have them order a new dashboard for it. In the meantime keep your car until they have the dash in stock. The job may take the better part of the day and expect the dealer to have the vehicle for up to two. The problem has been addressed in the replacement dashboards and in the newer models.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:19 PM

I have the Aus version called the Grandeur I had the same problem 14 months ago and it cracked again this week.

Does anyone know if Hyundai has fixed this problem as yet...

Cheers

Mel

Old 08-04-2009, 06:45 PM

I purchased a new 06 in Oct of 05. We are going on our fourth dash board being replaced. I thought this problem was over after the last time, but driving home the other day, I noticed it is happening again. It looks just like the photos posted above... right around the air bag. When I called the dealer ship about it today, they tried to sale me another car. I’m so frustrated with this matter! My car is now out of warranty and they are probably not going to want to help me, but I will push the issue being this has been a problem since I first purchased the car. (Meaning, it was never really fixed) Hyundai manufacture and the dealer ship are both trying to tell me they have never heard of this problem before… as if I’m the only one that owns a Hyundai with this problem in all of the cars out there on the road.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:33 AM

They know about it all right, its a world wide problem for the Azera,[Grandeuer] as well as some of the sonatas.

the line I was given was that the Hyundai factory contracted out the dash boards to another company who stuffed them up. They have now cleared the factory of all bad stock [ yeah right, and Pigs fly over my house all the time]

Anyway after grabbing the salesman bythe throat they fixed mine, Funny though, it didn't take the usual 3 days that it took before. The story is that now they can replace just the damaged top.

Anyway here hoping that its fixed.

Mel

Old 08-23-2009, 09:14 AM

I am an Assistant Service Manager at a Hyundai dealership. We probably do 3-4 Azera dash boards a month. Maybe even a sonata here and there.
I have stayed late helping the Techs replace them, since they are a PIA to replace!
We usually offer a rental at Hyundai's expense since it does take a couple days to complete it correctly, taking the time to make sure nothing is scratched/damaged.
The worst part about it, it's not only a inconvience for our customers, BUT Hyundai Warranty only pays the Tech 3.0 hours to do the repair!
Just my o2 cents!!
Good luck to all with this problem!

Old 08-24-2009, 02:18 AM

Yo mate

can you tell me what they actually replace, I had mine done twice, 3 days the first time 8 hrs the last time, can they just replace the actual top ?? the reason I ask is that I am concerned they have plastic welded the seam and not replaced the dash as they said they have. if they have I am concerned it may affect the airbag deployment. I have been told that they cant plastic weld the seam but I dont believe them anymore..

I have the woodgrain dash stuff added to the dash and they had to replace it the first time but not the second time. Any help would be appreciated, I'm in Australia...

Cheers

mel

Old 08-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Default dashboard discoloration

I bought a 2009 Sonata this week. There is some discoloration on the dashboard over the passenger side airbag. It was there when I took possession of this vehicle. The dealership assured me that they'll fix it or replace it if can't be fixed. They gave me in writing that it is their responsibility to get it fixed. Has anybody seen this kind of problem. I've been reading this thread about cracked dashboards. Was there any dsicoloration on these cracked dashboards (before cracking).

Old 08-28-2009, 07:02 PM

mel5526, I am a Tech at a Hyundai dealer and I can tell you that there is no way sto replace just the top part of the dashboard. You have to replace the entire thing. I have done two in the last 4 months and they were one month apart (I hate doing dashes and I got two in a month!!!!) It is true that it pays slightly over 3 hours and it does take me almost an entire 8 hour day to do. Warranty pay is terrible for any manufacturer, but it comes with the job. Please be patient with us, as it's not always the techs fault that things don't go in your favor. It usually takes about 3 days to get a dashboard from the warehouse, depending on if it's in stock or which warehouse it's in. My first dash took me one entire day and like 30 minutes into the next morning, so it's not an easy job but I do take my time and make sure that I have everything the way it should be as I don't want to take it back apart for free and I don't want you to bring it back in for a rattle/sqeak.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:37 AM

Hello, everybody. Here we all are two years after this thread started and if this site is any indication, there appear to be no issues with our Azeras more critical than a cracked dash cover. I think that says a lot about these excellent cars. I just had my first direct contact with a cracked Azera dash cover. Here’s my story, maybe it will help someone with a solution.

I went down to San Diego to look at a 2007 Azera Limited Ultimate – pearl white with gray interior. This was a very early ’07, serial #A152xxx, date of manufacture 9/06, registered in Palm Springs 2/07, sold 8/09 (30 months later) with about 30,000 miles – not much mileage here in So-Cal, but in a really harsh climate. The dashboard cracks around the air bag door were quite apparent.

The reason I was looking at this car is because my 2007 Azera Limited Ultimate – pearl white with gray interior – gave up its life this month while protecting me from harm in a nasty collision (four airbags deployed). My wife and I both loved that car and, even though we took a financial beating in terms of depreciation (Azeras are, if nothing else, a lot of car for not a lot of money - no matter how old they are), we’re looking to replace it with an identical car if we can find one. Compared to the San Diego car, ours was a marginally newer ’07, serial #A184xxx, date of manufacture 2/07, registered in Santa Ana 6/07, laid to rest 8/09 (26 months later) with about 45,000 trouble-free miles and no evidence of dash cover cracking. When it was not on the road, our Azera was in a covered garage day and night. So despite lots of time on the road and high mileage accumulation, I’m sure it had way below average exposure to sunlight, UV rays and intense heat. My advice is to keep your car garaged or covered as much as possible; if you must park in the sun, use a windshield sun screen and leave a window or the sunroof open just enough to allow for some ventilation. Good luck, and be careful out there.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:39 AM

Yo tech

LOL no way am I having a go at the guys that do the actual work mate. I was just worried that they have done something other than replace the dash. I marked the wood grain that runs along the dash and the mark was still there when I got the car back. My mechanic mate said that they probably reuse the wood grain trim etc. There was some woodgrain around the top vents in the dash which I put on and stuffed up so I know they did not replace the vents, again they may have used the old ones etc. Just paranoid that they have done something other than what they said.

I will try to get some pics of the wodgrain etc

Sounds like your a dedicated tech mate, the ones we have over here in West Australia are all from the hyundai factory and being paid half the money etc.

Cheers

mel

Quick Reply: Dashboard Cracked~