Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2009 Hyundai Elantra Se spark plugs and transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 11:18 AM
Default 2009 Hyundai Elantra Se spark plugs and transmission fluid

Hi everyone,I bought for my high school kid 2009 Hyundai Elantra Se , it has 137 thousand miles runs good up to service , I pulled one spark plug out and seems to be little bit dirty probably never changed I was able to read that I need this part number. NGK IZFR5L11 , should I replace then with new ones or just drive like that , also about transmission fluid I checked it’s not that bad seems to me that the color it’s right in the middle , , should I drain and fill or just leave the way it is thanks guys for help appreciated

Old 11-03-2019, 02:34 AM

Personally, I would replace them both plugs and trans filter.

For your piece of mind check your owner's manual and see what they recommend. If you have no maintenance records for the vehicle ,there are other maintenance recommendations that you might consider that could save you and family some problems.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:02 PM

I did checked owners manual won’t say when how what type of transmission fluid , I already order spark plugs same as they are on car right now , for transmission I anyone knows what type it takes I can at least drain and fill my self , this is how the fluid looks right now

Old 11-10-2019, 06:12 AM

Hey Besfort,
I'd replace the spark plugs if you haven't already. I believe the manual says to replace them every 100,000 miles if double platinum.

You'll need sp3(HK) transmission fluid, best you get directly from dealership. I did mine last month. I didn't take the pan/filter off, I just drained and filled. Remember to put in what you took out. From the looks of that transmission fluid it's in great shape.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:30 PM

The gap on old spark plugs tends to either open or close
Either case is not good for the ignition coils.
So, change them and avoid a future problem.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:40 AM

replace plugs for sure.. put anti seize on them when installing.

transmission, drain and refill with new fluid.. i have used the castrol transmax import fluid which is SP-III compliant and like 7 bucks a qt. ($13 on amazon not sure at stealer,,,dealership) you will need about 5 qts for drain and fill.. no need to worry about the filter unless the trans is having a problem then you have more to worry about.

I do a drain and fill,, go a week or so and do that again.. that pretty much replace all the fluid with new or 99% new.

Originally Posted by JR Duarte
Hey Besfort,
I'd replace the spark plugs if you haven't already. I believe the manual says to replace them every 100,000 miles if double platinum.

You'll need sp3(HK) transmission fluid, best you get directly from dealership. I did mine last month. I didn't take the pan/filter off, I just drained and filled. Remember to put in what you took out. From the looks of that transmission fluid it's in great shape.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:41 AM

I did change and put new spark plugs exactly same as the ones were in the car , they were ready to be changed , transmission fluid , I haven’t yet , but I’m going to , transmission works and shifts fine , just trying to make last longer , so drain and fill it’s okay then ,the amount I drain I will fill , drive for couple days and drain and fill again