Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Help! 99 Elantra Bogging Under Acceleration

Old 10-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Default Help! 99 Elantra Bogging Under Acceleration

Hi,

Are there any hyundai mechanics on this forum? I am having a difficult time diagnosing a problem with a 99 elantra. When the car is cold it runs fine and I can accelerate full throttle with no problem at all. Once the car has warmed up it starts acting very strange under acceleration and even stalls at times. If I keep the accelerator at say under 10% throttle position the car seems to want to drive ok but any kind of load and the car acts as if it loses fuel or ignition. I have ruled out ignition due to the fact that I have replaced the plugs/wires and coil packs. I hate to say this but I am stumped. If it was the fuel pump it either works or it doesnt. I have read about sensors but why only when the car has reached temperature. I read about grounding issues and I added a ground from the chassis to the engine. Still no change....please help me out here I am at a loss. Has anyone experienced this with hyundai? I am about to junk this friggin car but i know it is probably something simple. I would love to hear from a hyundai mechanic on this one, been working on cars for years and I cant figure this one out. oh i almost forgot....no check engine light with all of this...wtf?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Default RE: Help! 99 Elantra Bogging Under Acceleration

Hello member:
I'm thinking that you are having a fuel clogging issue here, have you changed your fuel filter?
Also have you checked your fuel pressure at the fuel rail to see what pressure your getting?

WheelBroker1 [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 10-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Default RE: Help! 99 Elantra Bogging Under Acceleration

Thanks for the reply Wheel. I am begining to think the same as there is no check engine light being triggered. If I were having an issue with a sensor my CEL would trigger right? I will try to check pressure at the fuel rail this weekend. Is there an easy way to do so or do I have to run a "t" to a gauge? I appreciate your help. Oh and yes the very first thing i did was change the fuel filter... Thanks..Rob