Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

MDPS Coupler Replacement - Damaged Connector - or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 07:28 AM
Default MDPS Coupler Replacement - Damaged Connector - or something else?

I have a 2012 Elantra Touring. I replaced the MDPS (Electronic Power Steering Motor) coupler/bushing. When I put everything back together, I lost power steering and the EPS light was on. Took it to a shop who claims they had OEM software for an SAS/APS reset. The software could not do it. C1260. Gained access to power steering motor via a different method where I could see a little better - I noticed that the white connector closest to the steering wheel on the motor was a little damaged. The pins from the cover (MDPS Control module?) must have not seated properly and poked into the white connector where it shouldn't have. I accessed it where I had more physical liberty and did it again more carefully, and still same result. I know, at my own fault, that this looks like a whole MDPS motor replacement - which I'm having extreme difficulty finding an exact used replacement online. Or perhaps one could confirm that the part I damaged is indeed the SAS connection? I also noticed that the connector on the top cover that seats into it is missing a pin in the corner (see picture) Normal? Must have broken that too - unless it comes OEM without that corner pin? Just trying to confirm if this is just a connector/pin repair vs a whole motor replacement. At this point I avoided having to take the motor off the column, which would be nice if I could keep it that way. See pictures - and I really do appreciate your thoughts.

Top view of cover (Power Steering Control module?)

Receiving connectors on motor that the control module pins stick into.

Wider view of motor with receiving connectors and cover off.

Bottom view of cover (Power Steering Control module?). Missing pin in bottom left corner. Is that how it comes or do I need to replace that?