Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

My 2007 Elantra GLS 2.0 Auto.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 06:09 PM
Default My 2007 Elantra GLS 2.0 Auto.

I bought the car from the 3rd owner (1st owner had owned it up until 280,000 mi's) I bought it from the 2nd owner at 298,000. So basically a 1 1/10th owner car. I have all the service records from them both, I figured out what was changed and when. Even changed some things I noticed weren't ever done, or it needed. (I do what I can myself) I noticed paperwork showing the timing belt was changed at 198k, he paid a buttload for it, and didn't do the water pump at that time. Now I am going to change the struts and shocks here shortly, but I guess what I'm asking is can a normal joe with good mechanical skills attempt this change himself (Timing belt/waterpump and tensioner) has anyone here ever did it with success, or should I fork out the money to get it done? I am less than 300mi now from hitting the 300k mark. The car runs perfect, gets 31-35 mpg, and since I've got it have changed the control arms, purge valve, TPS and every brake pad and rotor. Doing a fluid and filter change possibly Sun on my oil and trans. just so I know when it was done for sure. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks! Terry

Old 08-17-2018, 05:55 AM

My son and I did the struts and shocks ourselves at about 125,000. Put on a better quality and it improved the ride quite a bit. Broke a couple of craftsman sockets getting one of the front struts off but finally it came loose with a little encouragement. Worth the effort.

I am too old too dig into that timing belt thingy, but it looks like it could be done but may be a PITA. I think you have to access from the wheel well on the passenger side so its probably not a real fun experience. I paid over $400 each time I changed out my belt. Have done it at 70K and again at 127K. Its supposed to be done every 60K I am told. Had both fan belts changed at the same time. Dealer said water pump was not necessary at my mileage.

Brake disks and pads are easy to change and will save you a ton of money to do it yourself.

Good luck with the timing belt, let us know how that works out. Put up pictures please.

Amazed that you have that many miles on that car. After having to replace my steering column to fix a ESC problem for $2,000 I am thinking about dumping my 2009 Elantra SE. Car has been good for 9 years, I am only owner, but my confidence is shaken after that fix.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by hyse09
My son and I did the struts and shocks ourselves at about 125,000. Put on a better quality and it improved the ride quite a bit. Broke a couple of craftsman sockets getting one of the front struts off but finally it came loose with a little encouragement. Worth the effort.

I am too old too dig into that timing belt thingy, but it looks like it could be done but may be a PITA. I think you have to access from the wheel well on the passenger side so its probably not a real fun experience. I paid over $400 each time I changed out my belt. Have done it at 70K and again at 127K. Its supposed to be done every 60K I am told. Had both fan belts changed at the same time. Dealer said water pump was not necessary at my mileage.

Brake disks and pads are easy to change and will save you a ton of money to do it yourself.

Good luck with the timing belt, let us know how that works out. Put up pictures please.

Amazed that you have that many miles on that car. After having to replace my steering column to fix a ESC problem for $2,000 I am thinking about dumping my 2009 Elantra SE. Car has been good for 9 years, I am only owner, but my confidence is shaken after that fix.
I'm less than 300 miles now from 300k, I've had vehicles close to this mileage over the years. I changed that spider bushing inside the Electric steering, the one known for going out, just to be safe and know that is done. That was a job in itself. You don't realize how heavy those steering columns are until you're trying to lift and support it one armed putting it back in. When I did the brakes, I had to break free a couple of the slides on 2 calipers. Then just cleaned all of them to prevent problems later. The control arms were actually pretty easy, compared to some I've done.

I was quoted 695 for the timing belt and water pump. But that was just one garage, maybe I should check around. I just know I couldn't find the waterpump ever being changed, so I'll want to get them both done when I do the timing belt. I'm changing the trans fluid and filter and the oil and filter this weekend.

Thanks for the input. If I do decide to try the timing belt at home, I'll have to start friday after work, take my time, and hopefully have it done saturday late. I'll try to remember pictures. At my age, I forget things so easily anymore