Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

WARNING! 2002 Elantra control arm rust/bust

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:10 AM
Default 2002 Elantra

I had the control arms and sub frame replaced at the local Hyundai dealer March 17, 2010. I am in NS as well. My experience is similar to what happened to others; driving along on January 27, 2010, then bang - the front end drops and I feel like I ran into a curb.

The day of the event, I was thankfully driving slowly on a side street. The car couldn't be moved at all, so I had a flatbed tow truck tow it to my mechanic. Both control arms and an axle needed to be replaced. My mechanic used after market parts and did the job for approximately $700.

I had received a recall letter from Hyundai sometime in the fall of 2009. The letter was undated. It advised that a second letter advising me when to contact the dealer would follow, that they were doing the recall in stages, oldest vehicles first.

I was tidying up some papers last week, reread the Huyundai letter and realized that the recall was for the same problem my mechanic had repaired and called Hyundai right away.

The second letter from Hyundai arrived March 16, the day after I made an appointment with Hyundai (also undated - what is it with Hyundai and undated letters?).

Hyundai replaced the two control arms and sub frame. I was told that in order to do this work it would cost me $186.00, which I paid in order to get my vehicle back. The service advisor told me that this cost would not be covered. I am not a happy camper. I am sending a letter to Hyundai requesting both the $700 and the $186 be reimbursed.

I was given reimbursement forms that state that they will only refund me if the work was done between June 15, 2005 and July 15, 2009. Check the dates - have you ever heard of such foolishness???

Like others have pointed out, this problem could have caused a major accident. Being charged almost $200 to have the recall work completed (on top of the $700 paid to my mechanic) is just wrong.

I will let everyone know what happens. I am hopeful they will reimburse me all my out of pocket costs but that remains to be seen. I will keep you posted. I didn't ask them for the cost of the tow truck as I had CAA but that's one less credit I have for the rest of the year on my CAA membership. I think it's only fair they reimburse me for the $700 + $186. It's not like I'm trying to make money on this - I just want to recover the costs that were incurred as a result of their recall. I'd be interested in finding out how long they knew about the problem before the recall was issued.

Thanks for listening!

Old 03-19-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Own Drummer

Both control arms and an axle needed to be replaced. My mechanic used after market parts and did the job for approximately $700.

Hyundai replaced the two control arms and sub frame. I was told that in order to do this work it would cost me $186.00, which I paid in order to get my vehicle back.
Hyundai as part of their campaign will warranty the replacement of their own supplied parts,,, your vehicle showed up for recall with "Mike the Mechanics" mystery arms.. Hyundai does not warranty Mikes parts, so you had to essentially buy Genuine Hyundai arms to complete your recall in proper fashion.

The service advisor told me that this cost would not be covered. I am not a happy camper. I am sending a letter to Hyundai requesting both the $700 and the $186 be reimbursed.
Lets us know what happens

Like others have pointed out, this problem could have caused a major accident. Being charged almost $200 to have the recall work completed (on top of the $700 paid to my mechanic) is just wrong.
When was the last time the vehicle ever been into a dealer where the tech actually knew what he was looking at ?? Likely would have been caught a long time ago as the hole/perforation just started... Advisors ARE SUPPOSED to run VIN each visit to verify recall is up to date.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sbr711
When was the last time the vehicle ever been into a dealer where the tech actually knew what he was looking at ??
[BEGIN SARCASM]
WHAT?!?!? Go to a Stealership for service? They are nothing but robbers and thieves that just want my money. I would never go there. My Mechanic Mike is much cheaper and honest.
[END SARCASM]

Old 03-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Default reimbursment??

It is going on 3 months of waiting to see if will get reimbursed for deductible on insurance and loaner for time car was in repair shop. (Also had to have flat bed to haul it to repair shop like other person here).Insurance paid for damage when arms let go.,(A little over $3,500 damage)I am not asking for that amount though. Hyundai figures everything is all set damage has been repaired. Wouldn't of had to pay out of pocket expense if work would of been done when it was inspected by Hyundai dealer in first place. They knew about recall when it was there.
I have pics of the rusted arms no way you can miss them, amazed they held up. The rust was so bad when I got them back from repair shop. Showed them to dealership where we bought car they took pics too. Hyundai doesn't care as long as word doesn't get out about problems people had with this recall.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Default Same Problem

I am having the same problem. I have an 03 Elantra. I received a recall letter Dec 18, 2009. No date on it either! It also said to wait for a second letter to set up an appointment. I had an oil change Feb 19, 2010 and my mechanic said I should get the right control arm changed but didn't have to hurry. I just had another oil change April 30, 2010 and the mechanic said to get the right control arm changed within 2 weeks as it is showing bad rusting now and he can put his hammer through it in 2 or three spots.
I phoned a dealer in Mississauga to make an appointment and was told the they don't have the part. They said it's on back order and they have no idea when they will be getting the part in. I also called a dealorship in Belleville and related the story. She replied, "I guess that's why I don't have the part either. It must be on national back order."
Now I don't know what to do? I am very worried about driving the car now. My mechanic suggested he can probably replace it with an after market part but then I will be stuck with the bill!!! I am going to call the customer care number on my recall letter and see what they have to say.
So far I am not impressed with Hyundai treating this recall so lightly, especially seeing what Toyota is up against with their recalls!!

Old 05-04-2010, 05:22 PM

I too wish this recall was getting more attention! My story goes that the notice arrived months after a fatal accident. Driver error was blamed. The investigation was completed before the notice was received. No one seems inclined to investigate this control arm issue to see if just maybe it failed and caused the driver to lose control. There were no other contributing factors, it was a clear day in a rural no-cell-service area, drugs & alcohol ruled out. I'm not the owner, but I do believe Hyundai may well be getting off too easily and leaving an innocent angel to blame for something which she could not prevent and I wish we'd known about this sooner.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:21 PM

Hi all,

Wish I had found this forum earlier. I'm in Newfoundland Canada and the control arm just disentrgrated on my car two days ago while I was driving. Luckily I was proceding from a stop and thought I had a flat. When I managed to pull over I discovered the front wheels weren't flat, but pointed inward. Thankfully I wasn't on the highway, but I drive on the highway ever day to get to and from work. During the first week of July I put my car in for the "initial inspection" and was given it back, told I'd have to make another appt. I called and was told the earliest appt was Aug 10. So I continued to drive the car and two days ago I lost the steering. Luckily it was on a side road and I had just accelerated from a stop.

It frightens me to think what could've happened had I been on the hightway with my two kids onboard. Was told Hyundai Canada would cover the cost of the tow, but no loaner, and my car will be in the shop for two days before they can fix. Prior to this I thought Hyundai was solid, provided good service and even bought a 2009 Santa Fe for my wife.

I might be re-thinking this.

So happy to read about the experiences of others.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:38 PM

Update.....I did get re-imbursed from Hyundai for the lower control arms that I had replaced before the recall notice that I found and took in to the dealership..it was in the neighbourhood of $300 I beleive....its been quite some time..I should have came on here right after I received it but forgot

Old 08-10-2010, 01:31 AM

Update,
The dealership wanted me to bring the car in so they could assess the condition of the control arms and then make an appointment to leave the car so they could do the work. I need my car for work but Hyundai did not provide a loaner car while you have this work done! I am an hour away from the closest dealership. This put me in a real spot so what I ended up doing was, I bought a second used car ( a 2004) that was on the lot and I left my 2003 there to be fixed! I needed a second car like I needed a whole in the head but this was my best option. They ended up replacing both control arms and undercoating the subframe. The car was ready in under a week.
My conclusion,
I feel that Hyundai should be reported for this. To who? I don't know? The Ministry of Transportation? Who knows how many people have actually had an accident due to this problem. I feel that they are treating this WAY too lightly! They are putting peoples lives at risk never mind the hazard to other innocent drivers who might be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Pretty hard to avoid driving near any Hyundai on the Trans Canada highway!

Old 08-11-2010, 08:34 AM

This post reminds me of the movie Fight Club. If the cost of a lawsuit is less than the cost of a recall, they don't do one.

Quick Reply: WARNING! 2002 Elantra control arm rust/bust