Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

WARNING! 2002 Elantra control arm rust/bust

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Benjamin
This post reminds me of the movie Fight Club. If the cost of a lawsuit is less than the cost of a recall, they don't do one.
Read the whole thread. There is a recall:
Originally Posted by NovaResource
HUGE Hyundai recall for rust and brake lights:
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=6251

Old 08-11-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Brenda
Update,
They ended up replacing both control arms and undercoating the subframe. The car was ready in under a week.
Hmmm, we provide same day service if dropped at 8am,,,, most Hyundai pays for frame and arms together is 2.8hr I think it is... under a week ?

My conclusion,
I feel that Hyundai should be reported for this.
Reported for what ?

To who? I don't know? The Ministry of Transportation?
Call or write you Senators.. How about Obama ?

Hyundai stepped up, it's a recall for almost a year now

Old 08-21-2010, 04:47 AM
Default Rusty Suspension. Don't you have safety inspections?

I am amazed to read that cars are driven until rusty suspension components collapse. Is this in the USA? Don't you have regular safety inspections?
In New Zealand we do an annual Warrant of Fitness (WoF) inspection for the first 5 years then every six months after that. Rust is certainly looked for. Historically it was in fixed bodywork, sills, pillars etc to cause WoF failure.
But we don't salt roads as a rule. In UK the annual MoT test is tough and in Germany the TUeV test even tougher. Both use copious quantities of salt.
I believe that in Germany, welding up rusty bodywork is forbidden, and the INTERIOR of structural members is inspected!
So why the collapses? A good, regular inspection should avert such a crisis I would have thought.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:50 AM

I use a product called POR-15 on all my Jeeps, and i'd advise everyone to use it on their undercarriage. Just take off the surface rust with a wirebrush and apply it with a paintbrush to the entire undercarriage body and chassis. I guarantee you'll never get a drop of rust anywhere again.

Unfortunately frame and chassis rot are very common, especially the lower you are to the ground or if you live in a region where rocksalt comes into play. My Jeeps almost live underwater, so as soon as I noticed the surface rust was becoming more prevelant I used POR-15 and the undercarriages still look new.

Here's the link: http://www.por15.com/

Old 09-19-2010, 05:55 AM
Default Hyundai Control Arm broke

Don't drive it until it is fixed. My son was driving his 2003 elantra 55 mph down the hwy on Friday, Sep. 17, and the control arm broke. He came to a screeching halt and was able to safely stop the car on the side of the rode. Skid marks 30 ft long. When he got out, the right front tire was sideways! If anyone had been behind him, it would have been a terrible accident. Our mechanic is coming to look at it today to see if it also blew out the transmission, because it wasn't working after he stopped the car. I can't believe that anyone could make such a major part of the car so cheaply!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by LUIELADY
Skid marks 30 ft long. When he got out, the right front tire was sideways!
Good indication the arm broke

Our mechanic is coming to look at it today to see if it also blew out the transmission, because it wasn't working after he stopped the car.
Dont bother, axle likely popped out of drive unit with the wheel going sideways.. trans will just spin..

I can't believe that anyone could make such a major part of the car so cheaply!
Essentially there is nothing wrong the part, they just did not provide drain hole for water to fall out at lowest point, so arm filled up with water and rusted over time... New parts is same shape and material thickness, they just punched some holes in the stamping so it wont hold water...
Here is pic of the replacement style arm with the added holes marked with red arrow for water to drain out...

Attached Thumbnails WARNING! 2002 Elantra control arm rust/bust-pict0032p.jpg  
Old 09-20-2010, 06:38 AM
Default Hyundai control arm broke

After seeing the picture that someone sent me of a control arm, I don't think that is what broke. This was a thinner piece. The guy that stopped and helped my son, said it was the A-Frame that broke. Still waiting for mechanic to come and look at it.

Mechanic said it definitely is the control arm.

UPDATE: Monday, Sept. 20, 2010
I talked to Hyundai today. She said they would replace everything that was damaged due the control arm breaking, at no cost to us. We do have to haul it 80 miles to a dealership, but we have a friend with a truck and trailer. After paying $250 for a uhaul truck and trailer to get it home, this will be a great help. We can't get to the dealer for a few days yet, and the dealer said it was going to be a long process. Thats fine, as long as we don't have to pay to fix everything. I sure hope that's how it works out for us. I'll keep you updated.

Last edited by LUIELADY; 09-20-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

After seeing the picture that someone sent me of a control arm, I don't think that is what broke. This was a thinner piece. The guy that stopped and helped my son, said it was the A-Frame that broke. Still waiting for mechanic to come and look at it.
The picture above is of the lower control arm (AKA "A-Frame").

Old 09-20-2010, 06:54 PM

Old 09-20-2010, 07:41 PM

Is this car at the Hyundai dealer getting your FREE set of revised control arms installed by Hyundai Technician, and subframe drilled for inspection/coating applied or replacement if needed ? (Recall says if hole in 1 arm, replace both, comes as a kit)

Or is it at a mechanic of your choosing ? He will not be able to do the recall as specified, be he can buy the arms and charge you to install them..

Last edited by sbr711; 09-20-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: WARNING! 2002 Elantra control arm rust/bust