Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

WARNING! 2002 Elantra control arm rust/bust

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 07:47 PM

Send me your VIN...

Where are you located that dealer says no recall ??

Then we'll take it form there.... Your dealer is plain old STUPID.. they should be all over that car right now when first available tech has opening..

What state you in ? Did you give the aisle fella the Case number, like you really need it, the arm(s) is broke..

You drag 1 into our place,, broke or not, we run VIN on WEBDCS, as long as recall come up open, we doing the car... car from out of region and broke, we will call DPSM and advise them we have car not on list with broken parts... and we get it done.. we have good stock of parts, and typically same day service (start in morning, it ready for pick up in afternoon majority of time), start in afternoon, may carry over to next morning..

Arm kit is only about $200, and hyundai pays dealer 1.4hr to replace arm kit, drill holes in frame and spray goo... couple hr tops after they start on it.

Last edited by sbr711; 11-03-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Default breakage

Yes gave him the case. The car is in South Carolina now was original sold in Maryland on of the states in the recall. I think the recall is pretty straight forward if the car was sold in or currently registered in one of those states. So I dropped my car off at the dealer on Tuesday around 11:30 never heard from anyone called back yesterday at 3:00 and was told it would be a day or two, he is waiting for the work to be signed off on because its not part of the recall. Called customer service and they are telling me at least another 4 days and of course I have been the one that has to call everyone no one has bothered to call me and said hey we arent going to do the work or its going to take a week for us to decide what to do. Even if my car wasnt from Maryland how can you have a faulty part that you know rusts thru due to salt and what have you, the part falls apart, the exact way I have seen in all the photos and descriptions and your going to think about fixing it? Its just the right thing to do... right?

Old 11-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Default takes a while

Ours took a few days before we knew what they were going to do with it too. They have to wait for a Hyundai rep to come and approve the repairs. But they shouldn't be telling you that it's not part of the recall if it is. Regardless, if the Hyundai rep comes and sees the damage, they will probably cover all of the repairs. Once they start on it, it doesn't take very long if they don't have to do body work too. We were fortunate to have a spare car that our son could use.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Default they are fixing it

Just got a call from the service manager to tell me everything is approved and they are fixing the car. WOO HOO! They are doing the right thing with out a fight. Thanks to everyone for the imput on the situation I really appreciate it . And to everyone out there with one of these cars get yours check out its really a life threaten situation.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:09 AM

Call them back and tell them you want them (3) other recalls I listed done, as they is shown open to the VIN you sent me.. They got the car, get them them to do all the work as called by Hyundai WEBDCS report.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:42 PM

WOW!! I am glad I found this! My control arm actually broke on me today 11-7-10. I could have been very badly hurt as well as others around me. I routinely carry my 10 year old and my 7 year old in the car with me. Most of the driving we do is on the highway!
I was headed to get onto the highway today when it broke off. Literally if it had lasted 5 more minutes I would have been on the highway going 65mph!! As it happened, it broke on a back road when I was going roughly 35mph.
I have been out of work for some time and just recently have gotten to work. This is my main form of transportation and wasn't sure just what I was going to do. I had it towed back to my house as I simply cannot afford to pay to have it fixed at this time. Hopefully Hyundai is willing to stand behind this here in my home town of Dayton, Ohio. I'm not sure what other damage has happened as a result of this unfortunate and very scary accident. However, I fear there is some transmission damage because when this happened it was pouring out what looked like fluid from the transmission all over the street under the car. You can see it also pulled the axle out of the transmission and this is more than likely also trashed. I do pray that Hyundai is willing to stand behind me here as me and my family absolutely cannot afford a repair of this magnitude right now.

SBR711- It seems that you are affiliated with Hyundai, is Hyundai willing to stand behind their recall here in my home town and fix these issues that have happened as a result of this unfortunate accident as you did for LUIELADY? I have also sent you a PM reguarding this issue.

Last edited by Elantraguy; 11-07-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:57 AM

VIN supplied has open recall for the frame-arm inspection... they broke, you getting some parts...

Bodywork and related parts seems to be case by case with dealers, so you going to hae to talk with dealer handling your case about bodywork/broken axles. You likely have to call customer affairs and dealer call DPSM for review, but the arms replacement is a given, frame need further inspect.

Hyundai has a bunch of rules we have to play by, so dont be mad at dealer people..

Old 11-09-2010, 06:41 AM

I'm not affiliated with Hyundai. Just had to go through the same process as everyone when this happens. I contacted Hyundai customer support and they gave me a claim number. Then contacted a Hyundai dealer and brought the car to them. They had to wait for a Hyundai rep to come and approve repairs for the damage. My son was going 60mph down the highway when his broke, so there were some extra repairs that had to be done. The axle had come out and the tranny wouldn't work after it happened, but they didn't have to replace the tranny. Once they put the axle back in place, the tranny worked. We didn't "ask" them to do the body work that was damaged due to the control arm breaking. Evidently the Hyundai rep approved it.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:25 PM

Thanks Luileady, I hope I get the same customer support as you did!

Old 11-17-2010, 05:17 AM

I just wanted to give a progress report. My car is still in the shop, however all the mechanical work has been completed and the acr is up and running. They are waiting on a Hyundai rep to give the OK on fixing the fender. Once the body work is completed I will go pick up the car.
So, a big thanks to Hyundai for standing behind their product!

Quick Reply: WARNING! 2002 Elantra control arm rust/bust