Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

WARNING! 2002 Elantra control arm rust/bust

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:20 AM

Hyundai will be doing all of the work. Our mechanic just looked at it and is loaning us the truck and trailer to get it to Hyundai. According to Hyundai consumer service they will replace the control arms and all parts that were damaged due to the control arm breaking, at no cost to us.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Well, well, well. Isn't that nice that Hyundai is backing up their warranty by replacing everything damaged and doing all the work for free.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:14 AM
Well aren't you the lucky one ! Keep smiling til the dealership hands you the bill and advises: "Oh, sorry, that isn't covered under the warranty" (or thank your lucky stars that you've discovered the Elantra Angel (I thought the Elantra Angel was a myth, an urban legend or an extinct species).

Let us know how it turns out. We may all move to your town if the Angel comes through for you.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Own Drummer
Well aren't you the lucky one ! Keep smiling til the dealership hands you the bill and advises: "Oh, sorry, that isn't covered under the warranty" (or thank your lucky stars that you've discovered the Elantra Angel (I thought the Elantra Angel was a myth, an urban legend or an extinct species).

Let us know how it turns out. We may all move to your town if the Angel comes through for you.
The difference is you had your own (non-Hyundai) mechanic replace the parts first and then expected Hyundai to replace those parts again:
I had the control arms and sub frame replaced at the local Hyundai dealer March 17, 2010. I am in NS as well. My experience is similar to what happened to others; driving along on January 27, 2010, then bang - the front end drops and I feel like I ran into a curb.

The day of the event, I was thankfully driving slowly on a side street. The car couldn't be moved at all, so I had a flatbed tow truck tow it to my mechanic. Both control arms and an axle needed to be replaced. My mechanic used after market parts and did the job for approximately $700.

I had received a recall letter from Hyundai sometime in the fall of 2009. The letter was undated. It advised that a second letter advising me when to contact the dealer would follow, that they were doing the recall in stages, oldest vehicles first.

I was tidying up some papers last week, reread the Huyundai letter and realized that the recall was for the same problem my mechanic had repaired and called Hyundai right away.
If you wanted Hyundai to fix the car under warranty you should have taken it to them and not your non-Hyundai mechanic.

Second, you were notified BEFORE the parts broke:
I had the control arms and sub frame replaced at the local Hyundai dealer March 17, 2010. I am in NS as well. My experience is similar to what happened to others; driving along on January 27, 2010, then bang - the front end drops and I feel like I ran into a curb.

The day of the event, I was thankfully driving slowly on a side street. The car couldn't be moved at all, so I had a flatbed tow truck tow it to my mechanic. Both control arms and an axle needed to be replaced. My mechanic used after market parts and did the job for approximately $700.

I had received a recall letter from Hyundai sometime in the fall of 2009. The letter was undated. It advised that a second letter advising me when to contact the dealer would follow, that they were doing the recall in stages, oldest vehicles first.
That is YOUR FAULT for not getting the car repaied before it broke.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:49 AM

Our car is not under "warranty". We bought it second hand.
It wasn't the dealer that told me they would replace everything damaged due to the control arm breaking, at no cost to us, it was Hyundai Customer Service. We still have to get it towed 80 miles away to the dealer. Probably this weekend, as everyone is working overtime this week and hasn't had time to do it.
I am skeptical of how this will all play out. I'm going to tell the Hyundai dealer that if there is anything that I will have to pay for, they must call me first for approval. Evidently a representative will come and look at it and give them approval for what can be fixed/replaced.
I will definitely keep you posted...............

Old 09-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LUIELADY
Our car is not under "warranty". We bought it second hand.
That doesn't matter. Recalls for safety and/or defect reasons have no year/mileage limit. The car is covered no matter how old or who owns it now.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-23-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:46 PM

OOOOOOOp's

Attached Thumbnails WARNING! 2002 Elantra control arm rust/bust-pict0460p.jpg  
Old 10-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Smile

We picked up our elantra today 10/09/10. No bill! They did about $2,000 worth of work on it, including replacing the right front fender. All at no cost to us. Life is good!

Old 10-09-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by LUIELADY
We picked up our elantra today 10/09/10. No bill! They did about $2,000 worth of work on it, including replacing the right front fender. All at no cost to us. Life is good!

Now you did a receipt....... right ?? If you did not get paperwork, go back and get it for your records.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Default control arm rusted and snapped off while driving

I have a 2002 Elantra that I have loved for the past 5 years until last Sunday when I was driving down the exit ramp lucky for me only going about 35 mph and the drivers side tire locked up I skidded and came inches from hitting the wall. Got out to see that my tire was bent in ward and could not move the my car off the ramp of exiting traffic. I had it towed to my local garage to be told that the repair would cost in exsess of $2500 for both side becasue the control arms had rusted thru one to the point that it snapped off and that they had never seen anything like this before. Went on line to compare pricing on parts you know get a second opion and what do I find but a recall for this exact problem. I called the hot line spoke to a nice lady who gave me a case number told me that in fact my car was sold in Maryland and is under the recall and to get it to a dealer ship. Well now that its there they are telling me no your car isnt part of the recall how did you find out about this? did we send you a letter? You'll have to pay for the repairs and then submit it for approval. Even after I explained that not only had one of their agents told me that I was covered and that I had it in black and white from the goverments web site that there is a recall they are telling me that its going to be atleast another 3 to 4 days before they let me know if they will make the repairs !!! So I could have killed someone or myself due to faulty part, I am with out a car for at least a week and have to get to work on my own accord and they are trying to figure out a way to weasel out of making a repair that is under a national recall, way to go Huyndai I have praised my car since the day I bought it actually talked my brohter in law into buying his new car from them but now I find out they are gambling with peoples lives and really dont car even a little. thanks !!

Quick Reply: WARNING! 2002 Elantra control arm rust/bust