Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

A few more questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Default A few more questions

Just a few more questions

First, this may sound silly, but how do you turn the air conditioner/vent completely off? When you turn the **** to "0" the light doesn't go off and there is still some air blowing out of the vents. Is there a way to turn the air vents completely off, or do you just close the vents individually?

Second, I really want to replace the shifter **** on my 2011 et gls with automatic trans. Someone said you have to have it heated and pulled off, but I'm terrified that I'll break something. would the dealer be able to do this?

Third, I heard that its bad to put armor oil on the dash because its not leather. Is there some other solution or wipe that you guys recommend for protecting the dash from cracking and sun fading?

Old 04-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

1. No, there is no real "OFF" position. The OFF on teh dial is just the fan but air will still move through the system as you drive becasue fresh air is forced in the vents at the base of the windshield. If you don't want any air as you drive you have 2 options:
a. close all the vents with the small dial at the bottom of the vent by turning it from the wavy lines to the box with an X in it. (see page 4-69 of your owners manaul)
b. turn the fan speed to 0 and select the recirculate button. This uses an inlet in the passenger compartment insted of the fresh air vent outside the car.

2. Remove the set screw on the side:

3. Personally, I like the Vinyl & Rubber Dressing from Griot's Garage:

Vinyl & Rubber Dressing - Cleaners - Wheels & Tires - Car Care - Griot's Garage