Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

how to remove oil filter-touring 2010

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:00 PM
lon
Default how to remove oil filter-touring 2010

I HAVE TRIED REMOVING OIL FILTER BUT ITS TO TIGHT...WHAT SIZE OIL CAP TO REMOVE FILTER DO i NEED..ALSO TRYED CLAP ON WRENG NOT ENOUGTH FORCE TO LOOSE FILTER.. Help

Old 09-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

If you are having trouble removing an oil filter, maybe you should take it to a qualified mechanic.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:38 PM

I've never been a fan of dealeship oil changes, but this is the best reason in the world to take advantage of the freebie oil change offered by most dealerships on new cars. I thought this was strictly a Hyundai problem, but I recently purchased a new Dodge Ram 1500 (the Explorer is gone, long live the Explorer) crew cab with the same problem, only worse. The filter on this engine is oriented straight down, easy access. With my stoutest oil filter wrench, an extension handle and my foot braced on the frame rail, I couldn't budge the filter loose, actually started to crush and put a twist in the can. I stopped before I created a puncture and then redeemed my coupon. I can't imagine what the companies are doing to glue filters on this tight without stripping the threads.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:32 AM
lon

Interesting but sad!. Did you by chance see how dealer removed filter.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

A good strap wrench should get it off. Either a metal one with small gripping spikes or a rubber one. Try spraying some penetrating oil around the gasket where it mounts to the block. If all else fails, use large plyers and crush the filter if needed or drive a large screwdriver through the filter case and crank it off.

Be sure to put oil on the rubber gasket of the new filter when replacing it ot it will stick again. And only tighten it by hand. 3/4 of a turn after the gasket touches the mounting flange.

Metal:

Rubber:

Plyers:

Compression "socket":

Old 09-21-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by lon
Interesting but sad!. Did you by chance see how dealer removed filter.
No, this dealership spirits the vehicle away and don't let the customers wander the service area. All of NR comments are appropriate, in fact, the bottom wrench is similar to the one I was using. If I had not the free oil change ticket already, I was prepared for the screw driver trick. I've done that before and its a messy alternative. The engine lines must now be installing the filters dry and then they must sit around for a awhile to get glued on this tight.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:12 PM
lon

Will provide more info later but problem has been taken care of. First I have been took by two different people that during manufactorying a machine puts the filter on and that accounts for the tight fit. I also found that my dealer uses the oil cap and lube place uses oil plyers. Furthermore under the car you must take off the plastic shield that cover part of the oil pan and access to oil filter..I think most of us know about that but what I did not do was remove a second plastic shield (to right of first plastic shield) and that allows greater access etc etc. I still dont know the size of the Touring OEM filter (oil cap) but will post when I find out. I hope this help someone. Above picture of oil removing tools are great but metal strap type did not work for me.

Last edited by lon; 09-22-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:17 AM

is it hard to get to ? like my Nisson truck? but it is at 179.000 miles ,and I do my own
oil changes on it .
But I have the first one free! on the ET. if they do it right?? I don't trust Dealers,

here is a good point though, my frind alway's took his wifes car 2001 Mustang to
the Dealer for all oil changes from New!
The Tech that day had a brain%&** And left the drain plug loose, He got about
2 miles when the hot light came on then if he would of shut it off right then if may have
been fine? just stuck in the road, with a oil line from the dealers shop!!
but he was at a red light! & was trying to get over to the side !

Now with all the oil gone the Motor locked up, & had to walk back to the Dealer.
with about 130.000 on the Mustang that high mile for a 4 banger!
the best part ! He got a new motor & a car to drive from the Dealer.
The Tech got the boot.