Keys in the ignition, engine running, and locked out - how did this happen? - Page 2 - Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:52 AM

Hi All, I ended up calling Hyundai to find out why this happened. The guy I spoke to said that if the Halo is still switched on, (car automatically locks when you hit 40kmh...in Aus anyway) that when you do stop the car as we have, not actually turned it off but just jumped out to do something, if when you open the door, you don't pull back on the door handle enough, sometimes the door will open, but won't actually dis-engage the central locking. However, he said that the boot should still have been open, which in my case it most definitely wasn't. Therefore he seems to think that my central locking is playing up. He said the best way to avoid this happening is to take the car into a service centre and have them switch the Halo off. I kinda like the Halo thing though. I have a 3 yr old nephew who is very inquisitive, and just for safety aswell. So that's kinda annoying. What was even more annoying is that even though it was something in my car that was faulty and the car is still under warranty, Hyundai will not refund any of my costs or even just the emergency call out fee, because Hyundai's warranty doesn't cover you for inconvenience.
How convenient...
Old 09-15-2011, 06:52 PM

"We have this auto-locking feature that other manufacturers have been using for years, but if it isn't working right then we suggest you don't use it" What a load of crap. I'd escalate the issue, something's not working right, get it fixed.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:48 AM

Help! Our 2010 elantra just locked us out of the car we have both remotes, but they are not operational in this situation. the key is in the ignition on off. I got out to put the wipers down and the door closed. all the doors are locked can you give us advise on what to do?
Old 02-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Don't you have a spare key? If you have 2 remotes, I'm assuming you have 2 keys.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:07 PM

no, one key two remotes. I would not be on this forum if i had 2. I'd be driving happily down the road. LOL!

update we got the car open! the battery was dead, even though the key was in off position. the remotes did not work
even after the key was removed from the ignition. so... is there a malfunction in this car? We are charging the battery now.
the remotes are woring again now after the charging of the battery.

Another question, can we get the laser key copied so it only opens the door?

Last edited by DebF; 02-04-2016 at 02:21 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 02-04-2016, 02:17 PM
Former Site Vendor

It sounds like you're going to have to call a locksmith.