Hyundai Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with HF? Ask! Have a suggestion to better HF? Tell us here..

Advice on removing shark fin antenna

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 03:36 PM
Default Advice on removing shark fin antenna

Hello all -- I'm sending this to hopefully reach across Hyundai model lines, as what I'm asking may apply to more than just our Elantra. We have a 2010 Elantra Blue that had its shark fin antenna ripped off the roof while backing out of the garage (I guess we should have waited until the garage door was open!). In any case, I took some photos of what was left and am hoping I can remove and straighten the metal base of the fin assembly without having to go through the interior roof. There seems to be just one plastic piece holding it to the roof. Any suggestions? Thanks for reading and helping if you know a solution!

Old 08-31-2022, 07:08 AM

Just from looking at your pictures , it appears there are screws that come from the inside and screw into the posts that hold the assy to the roof.

Don't forget it must be waterproof when installed and I cannot see any way to reinstall the fin without getting access from inside.

Old 08-31-2022, 10:29 AM
Default Advice on removing shark fin antenna

Thank you for your input, Hanky. I appreciate it. I also was certain that those four screw areas and posts screwed in from the roof, but they do not. They screw from the bottom of the metal plate into the top shark fin assembly. There are no screw holes at all in the roof. There is only the round hole that the small cylindrical electronic part (seen in the photo) fits into and nothing with it actually attaches to the roof; it's attached with two small screws to the metal piece from the top. They key is the small black rectangular plastic item I circled in one of the photos. That rectangular piece somehow holds the entire shark fin assembly to the roof. The triangular black rubber gasket keeps everything waterproofed. Since we don't use the Sirius radio feature and the shark fin antenna has nothing to do with normal AM / FM radio, I was thinking of removing that black plastic piece (knowing it will likely be destroyed in the process), and then just cover the two holes (the round one and the rectangular one), ensuring that it's sealed well to be waterproof. Thoughts about this?

Old 08-31-2022, 10:34 AM

... of course, what I don't know is whether or not there's a lot more to that little black plastic piece below the metal piece. Maybe there are four large screws below that are associated with it to hold everything to the roof.