Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

2013 Santa Fe AWD - Loud bang when reversing

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 06:28 PM
Default 2013 Santa Fe AWD - Loud bang when reversing

Hi all

Can somebody pls help me. When I reverse, after about 1 to 3 meters, there is a loud noise from the rear of the vehicle, almost as if I have collided with something, and the vehicle jerks slightly.

Most of the time it is when I move out of a parking spot, however recently it is doing the same even after driving through town and then backing up into my drive way, thus I don’t thinking’s it is the parking brake. This noise comes and goes, sometimes nothing for days then suddenly every time I backup.

Vehicle is going back for 2nd time to dealership to try and figure this out, last time they had the vehicle on the lift and had it running in reverse, but no sounds.

Any similar experiences or ideas? Vehicle is automatic and has 98000km on the clock.

Last edited by Seadog; 08-04-2019 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old 10-26-2020, 05:40 AM
Default Any result on this

hello,

I have a 2015 Santafe and it has the same problem. Did you find out the issue with your vehicle.

Originally Posted by Seadog
Hi all

Can somebody pls help me. When I reverse, after about 1 to 3 meters, there is a loud noise from the rear of the vehicle, almost as if I have collided with something, and the vehicle jerks slightly.

Most of the time it is when I move out of a parking spot, however recently it is doing the same even after driving through town and then backing up into my drive way, thus I don’t thinking’s it is the parking brake. This noise comes and goes, sometimes nothing for days then suddenly every time I backup.

Vehicle is going back for 2nd time to dealership to try and figure this out, last time they had the vehicle on the lift and had it running in reverse, but no sounds.

Any similar experiences or ideas? Vehicle is automatic and has 98000km on the clock.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:04 AM

Something that should be done to eliminate any possibilities there.

Both rear wheels need to be removed to confirm all is well with the brake system.

Not sure if your vehicle has front wheel drive and selective all wheel drive. If it does running it on a lift is not going to reveal anything unless they apply the brakes and switch from front wheel drive to all wheel drive then put it into reverse and even then it may not show up without the load of moving the vehicle.
You might inquire if they did that or were able to duplicate the problem.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:14 AM
Default Not resolved

Never found what caused the problem, I ended up selling the vehicle.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:10 AM

I hope you informed the new owner of the problem.

Thanks for the update.