Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Bad Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Default Bad Ticking Noise

I've got an 04 santa fe with a 2.7l v6, that has a ticking noise. The noise is only getting worse, and I even saw some metal shavings in the last oil change . I am a bit upset because it only has 49k miles on it, but I guess it doesn't matter and it needs to be repaired.

I got under it today and took off the little plastic cover. The sound is coming from the back of the engine. It is a very annoying sound that seems to be getting worse. I fiddled around with the car and found that if I rev the engine at 3k rpms for about 4 seconds and then let off. The sound is gone, but comes back in about 7 to 10 seconds. I am almost certain it is a lifter, but it sounds as though the noise is coming from the lower portion of the engine. I guess it could just be the noise echoing down there.

I plan on either digging into it tonight or tomorrow to replace/inspect the lifters. I do have one question before I begin. I just want to take the valve cover off, it looks as though the timing belt is some how connected..... I do not know if that is true or not, but I'd appreciate the insight.

Here is a youtube video of the sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axqbBUtU_R0
and another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzofQnwVsgs

Old 10-13-2009, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Are you using factory oil filters or aftermarket? There's an Hyundai TSB about aftermarket filters being too restrictive and causing a ticking noise. Are you the original onner? If so the 10-y 100K mile warranty is still good. Even if your the second owner, the 5-y 60k mile warranty might still be good.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:27 PM

Appreicate the reply. I am probably going to change the oil again, I have been running castrol synthetic oil in these past few oil changes, but it had run on conventional its whole life. I put an OEM filter on like you said, the noise does present itself, but not as quickly or loudly, but its still there. I then added some additive to the fuel and that made it go away for awhile as well. I plan on changing the oil again and getting another oem filter, and I think I'll put 93 octane in it instead of the usual 87...