Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Bad Ticking Noise

Old 10-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Default Bad Ticking Noise

I've got an 04 santa fe with a 2.7l v6, that has a ticking noise. The noise is only getting worse, and I even saw some metal shavings in the last oil change . I am a bit upset because it only has 49k miles on it, but I guess it doesn't matter and it needs to be repaired.

I got under it today and took off the little plastic cover. The sound is coming from the back of the engine. It is a very annoying sound that seems to be getting worse. I fiddled around with the car and found that if I rev the engine at 3k rpms for about 4 seconds and then let off. The sound is gone, but comes back in about 7 to 10 seconds. I am almost certain it is a lifter, but it sounds as though the noise is coming from the lower portion of the engine. I guess it could just be the noise echoing down there.

I plan on either digging into it tonight or tomorrow to replace/inspect the lifters. I do have one question before I begin. I just want to take the valve cover off, it looks as though the timing belt is some how connected..... I do not know if that is true or not, but I'd appreciate the insight.

Here is a youtube video of the sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axqbBUtU_R0
and another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzofQnwVsgs

Old 10-13-2009, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Are you using factory oil filters or aftermarket? There's an Hyundai TSB about aftermarket filters being too restrictive and causing a ticking noise. Are you the original onner? If so the 10-y 100K mile warranty is still good. Even if your the second owner, the 5-y 60k mile warranty might still be good.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:27 PM

Appreicate the reply. I am probably going to change the oil again, I have been running castrol synthetic oil in these past few oil changes, but it had run on conventional its whole life. I put an OEM filter on like you said, the noise does present itself, but not as quickly or loudly, but its still there. I then added some additive to the fuel and that made it go away for awhile as well. I plan on changing the oil again and getting another oem filter, and I think I'll put 93 octane in it instead of the usual 87...