Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Creaking when braking- Hyundai Santa Fe

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:47 AM
Default Creaking when braking- Hyundai Santa Fe

My 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe is making a very distinct creaking noise when the brakes are applied, especially as I come to a rolling stop. A friend described the noise like an "old wooden ship". I had brakes done last year so I didn't think it would be them, but the noise clearly only happens when I am braking.

Any guidance would be great before I go and ask a mechanic who will charge me through the roof I'm sure.

Thanks

Old 08-31-2018, 09:28 AM

I am having the same exact problem with my 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe. Creaking like an "old wooden ship" is an apt description. I am taking it in tonight to be looked at.

Did you find out what was causing it and how did you resolve?

Thanks.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:39 AM

Evidently , the gentleman never rec'd any reply.
If your shop corrects the problem, we would appreciate if you could share the fix/or cause with us, thanks.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:08 PM
Default No update

Hi, sorry for the delay, I was away on vacation. (And no I’m not a gentleman but thanks for the assumption, other poster)
I never ended up taking the car in, as a day later the noise was no longer evident. I recently had an oil change and was told my CV boot is cracked and so perhaps that has been leading to some of the noise? I don’t really have any car knowledge. The mechanic told me it may be cheaper for them to replace the entire axle rather than just the boot because the boot replacement is very labour intensive. I’m not sure if that was just a sales pitch or not. I have not gone ahead with any repair yet as I’m waiting for another quote. Let us know what your mechanic says!