Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Engine Work - Serpentine / Timing

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Default Engine Work - Serpentine / Timing

Hello everyone, I am attempting to service a 2.7L 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe for a friend.

ISSUE:
Serpentine Belt
- Belt Frayed
- Belt slipped off tensioner nearest A/C Compressor / Upper Motor Mount
- Belt tore into and is stuck inside timing belt cover and possibly a gear or tensioner that lies behind the cover, beneath the upper motor mount.
- Belt stuck behind drive pulley on crankshaft.

Serpentine Belt Tensioner
- Serpentine Tensioner melted nearest A/C Compressor / Upper Motor Mount

Timing Belt
- ??? Initial inspection looks good, but I'm no expert. (Viewed from top with Cam Gear timing belt cover removed.)

Cam Gears
- Alignment between gears okay (Both dots align with both indentation in the valve cover.)
- Cam / Crank alignment (I saw a T mark on the tab overhanging the crank pulley but the crank pulley mark is not aligned perfectly with the T mark. My experience with other engines tells me that a slightly off is okay, and I've done it to Honda motors to tune cam timing, but I would like confirmation for this particular motor.)

UPDATE: (12/05/2009)
Requested Information: RECEIVED (12/05/2009)

Crank Rotation
Received Requested Information, Information is as follows:
Crank Rotation = Clockwise

UPDATE:
Serpentine Belt Removed. Rotated crank counter clockwise to help unwedge belt from drive pulley. Re-Routed belt out crank bolt access hole by front tire to get a pulling angle and removed the portion that was wedged in by the upper motor mount.

Specific Information For:
2005 2.7L V6 Motor
Auto Tensioner needs to be loosened or removed to service serpentine belt
Auto tensioner Receives a 3/8" drive
Auto Tensioner rotates down/clockwise

Last edited by Espera; 12-05-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:15 PM

Chalk is cheap, Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Chalk used to marking Belt and Valve cover.
Name:  IMG_3265.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  44.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3267.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  86.6 KB

Damaged Timing Belt Cover
Name:  IMG_3264.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  93.1 KB
Close Up
Name:  detail.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  72.6 KB

Damaged Belt and Belt Tensioner
Name:  IMG_3255.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  73.3 KB

Well I hope these picture are general enough for others to use as reference and specific enough to show the issue at hand.

Last edited by Espera; 11-29-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:13 PM

New serpentine belt is on as well as the new tensioner, I call it a tensioner because it keeps tension in the belt even though the real tension is from the Auto Tensioner. I swung the timing belt around again... this time the "T" (0 degrees) hit dead on so I probably just turned the crank too far the first time.

Car runs great, my initial fears that the timing belt might have slipped a tooth were cleared. Once the final pics are up I can compile a more complete how to and post it up for the mods to do with what they will.

Since the old belt was in shambles and off the auto tensioner I had no real clue of the belt routing. Chilton's, while I can respect what they do is useless when it comes to "DETAILED" documentations. The book itself was pretty darn thin so that should have given me an good indication of the level of detail.

I will try and post pics when I get a camera.
Mostly a pic of the hole in the "Auto Tensioner" for the breaker bar, really though a breaker bar is inappropriate because of it's length. A socket wrench coupled with a combination spanner/wrench place near the end of the socket wrench handle will in effect give you a "L" shaped handle that offers both leverage and a much broader range of motion. I'll post pics of the belt routing or make a 3D model of it for reference. I shall also post pics of the "L" since I mentioned it.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Espera
The book itself was pretty darn thin so that should have given me an good indication of the level of detail.
Good feedback. If you keep working on your Santa Fe, then you need to check out http://www.hmaservice.com. All the Hyundai technical service info is stored there.