Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2006 Sonata center brake light replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 AM

When i did mine on my 05 , it was 2 bolts from the trunk side of it then a twist up and pull out from the deck , i guess i got lucky lol

Old 05-20-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Budweisercs
I first attempted to remove the tray, but then decided on seeing if I could remove the housing from inside the trunk. Removing the housing is the way to go.

You do need to cut out the foam from the passenger side hole to access that screw, the one on the passenger side is the tricky one, make sure you use an xacto knife to clear all the foam out from the hole so you can get the screw out without losing it. I did tape a magnet to a length of wire to catch the screw if needed but it stayed put on the end of a medium size phillips screwdriver.

The screw on the drivers side was easy since it also secures the connector bracket and stayed with that assembly when unscrewed.

Then I was able to lift the housing up enough to get a needle nose pliers in to twist the bulb holder out and let it drop down and retrieved through the trunk.

I then scored both sides of the long plastic tab on the bottom of the bulb holder with a razor knife and just snapped it off (make sure you don't slice the wires, bend them over to the top), then I sanded what was left with a dremel tool to get it flush with the bottom of the holder. This will allow you to put the new bulb in the holder back in the assembly and slip it back into position from the back deck.

Then just screw the 2 screws back in ( I taped the passenger side screw to the end of the driver with electrical tape to secure it to avoid loss in the abyss between the tray and metal deck), reconnect the connectors and you are done!

I took some photos, will post them when I get a chance.

Good Luck - Bud!
Excellent information. The pictures were spot on. It took me about 25 minutes to complete. Thanks Bud