Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2006 sonata V6 reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 06:17 PM
Default 2006 sonata V6 reliable?

So recently i saw a 2006 sonata V6 with 145k and it does look like a good car, especially for the price. of course, I will check it out before i get it but I just want to know if I decide to get it, what kind of reliability could I expect and what kind of common problems could occur.

I have heard that sonatas are typically more reliable than Elantra at least but not sure if correct. It would only be a temporary car as I do expect to get something better 6 months from now when I get some income

Old 09-06-2019, 05:19 PM

I wish I could b more help here because my 2007 Sonata has 198K miles but it's a 4 cylinder while the one you are looking at is a 6 cyl. However, since no one is answering you I can offer a bit that might help. First of all, I think you realize the longevity of an auto is in the maintenance that was done. Did it have somewhat regular oil changes was the filter changed etc. Look at the tires if they are worn on one side thats a clue the suspension needs attention. Don't b afraid to look under the car at the exhaust system and most importantly look at the fuel and brake lines for rust and rot. Although my car is a 4 cylinder I don't read about many issues concerning the 6 cylinder. And with that many miles, look at the water pump ...hopefully it's shinny indicating it was changed and also it's about due for the engine timing chain replacement. Incidentally, I've done all of the above to my car before things failed and it purrs. If the auto looks good underneath the oil is somewhat clean and it starts and drives ok then go for it.....Hyundai's r solid reliable cars...if treated halfway well!

Old 09-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Default 2006 Sonata v6 excellent car

I'm fixing up our 06 Sonata for my youngest daughter as we purchased a new one .
The 06 is and has been. An excellent car . extremely reliable with very few problems-
I highly recommend the v6. It's peppy yet great on the highway. My wife commented that she should have kept it instead of buying a new one and I agree!! Good luck