Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2007 Sonata Neutral Safety Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 03:53 PM
Default 2007 Sonata Neutral Safety Switch

Needing help replacing the neutral safety switch on my 2007 Sonata V6 3.3L. I have the part just not sure where it's located and how to get to it. Thanks for any help!

Old 03-06-2019, 11:23 AM

If you would,
please tell us how it was determined that that particular switch needed to be replaced.
We know all you want is the info, but all we want is to prevent you spending time and $$$ replacing a good part, what do you think?

It is located on the transmission and activated by the shift cable.

Last edited by hanky; 03-06-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:31 AM

Really, I'm just guessing. For a few months on occasion the car would not start when you turned the key. Everything else works, radio, lights, etc. If you moved the gear shift through the gears and maybe wiggled it a little bit it would start. You may have had to do this for a couple of minutes. Well, recently it got worse, and now it will not start at all. I've had a few people tell me the neutral safety switch could be the issue, but still not sure that's the problem.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:02 PM

The way you describe it makes the Neutral safety switch a prime suspect. But don't overlook cables and connectors, the battery poles and ground connection. Isn't there a safety switch at the brake pedal too?

Old 03-07-2019, 01:41 PM

I changed the switch, but it still won't start. Maybe I need to look at the connections?

Old 03-07-2019, 07:55 PM

Changing the switch didn't fix it?
Does it start at all?
Does the engine crank?
Can you test the starter by putting B+ to the starter solenoid?
Will it crank the engine?

Old 03-11-2019, 01:40 PM

Changing the neutral safety switch did not fix it. A friend was able to wiggle some wires near the fuse box and near the floorboard and it started. Was told it could be the ignition switch. Therefore, I changed the ignition switch and it still did not fix the problem. The car does start on the first try about 50% of the time. If it doesn't, I can wiggle the wires and generally get it started after a minute or so. I've looked at the wires and didn't notice anything right off hand that caught my eye. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:10 PM

Could you provide a little more info?
Since the car is full of wires, could you be a little more specific as to about where you need to wiggle the wires to get some action.
If it is in the area of the fuse panel, something you might try.
Remove each fuse one at a time and reinstall it in the same place. If there is any type corrosion that will usually temporarily take care of it.
If it does help , then we can offer a more permanent solution.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:20 PM

Gorillium,
Do you have any updates? I am having the same issue. I just replaced the ignition switch, thinking that was causing the intermittent no crank issue. My next guess/replacement was to be the inhibitor switch.
Now that you say, you have replaced both and are still having issues it worries me.
I think the wiggling of the wires is just a coincidence. I usually turn the switch to the start position about 20 times and finally turns over. This tells me it is a switch problem and not a wiring problem....but I could be wrong.
Any updates would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 12-12-2020, 05:38 AM

I have had similar problems of no crank, no start.
Turned out to be the electrical connections
So try this first, clean the battery posts and cable terminals with a metal brush
Then follow the negative battery cable. It might go underneath the battery box.
Clean up the grounding point on chassis as well as the terminal of the negative cable.
Then look for the engine ground strap. Clean as necessary.
Try starting engine