Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata Hybrid stumbling/surge problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by pag2p
My wife and I have had this car for a few months and the first couple months were great. Our only complaint was that the headlights are aimed very low making visibility at night difficult. Then after a few months when we would first start the car after it had sat for a couple hours it would lose power as we would leave our neighborhood. It would always recover and drive fine after it stumbled once or twice in the neighborhood. Then Last night my wife had gone to see a movie at our small downtown theatre, and when we left were on the main street and the car bucked like a mule and almost stalled and it took two blocks for it to gain any significant power back. I didn’t notice any error lights come on, but I was more worried about getting the car off the main street.

The last time I took the car into the dealer for the lights they also checked into a couple recalls. One was a system update which was supposed to help the fuel mileage. Then there were two other things that they were looking for, one of which they said wasn't a problem for my vehicle (something to do with roof lining), and the other they had to order some part. My local dealer is incompetent though. They said they would call when the part came in, and never did. This is normal for them; they have done this with other issues I have had. In fact when I called the main Hyundai number, they didn’t see that I had had it serviced, but the one time for the recall. They are worthless. I am now going to have it looked at by a second dealership. I hope they are more competent. I have not been happy with the Hyundai service I have received at the local dealership her.

Over all I am very disappointed with the car. It looks great but the service and the drive ability is very poor. I hope they find a fix for this problem soon.
Have the other dealer adjust your headlights and have them redue that TG5 service campaign to stop the bucking. Make sure that you also had TG6 and TG8 done.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:13 PM

Just a status update. The stumbling/Check Engine light problem I had has not reoccurred since the NVLD sensor was replaced. Car is running well.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:34 PM

I've been lucky and have had ZERO problems with my hybrid and have averaged 38 MPG with the Premium Package will all options. I go in for the updates and recalls this week. Hoping for 40 MPG+.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:09 AM

i have had the recalls and software updates done and car is now running like new again. am getting 38 mpg city in florida and 44 mpg on highway. also, hypermiled home from the gas station yesterday and got 65 mpg for the 3.5 mile trip. don

Last edited by don2542; 11-08-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:25 PM

Send a private message to Car Tech Dude as he is an Enginer for the Hybrid and maybe he can help. This is a message from him about the November Recall TI2.

Hello to all.

There is a new campaign TI2 and everyone on this site for this issue should return to dealer to get it done it is an important improvement for this issue.

TSB is 01-11-049 and it is entitled HEV HPCU Interlock Circuit Connector Installation.

It replaces 2 high voltage connectors at the HPCU to make sure they have robust connection.

Along with the TG5 Multi-ECU Update that most of you probably have it provides the complete improvement to prevent this issue.

Sorry another trip to dealer but all this took allot of investigation and piecing things together to finally arrive at the best combination of solution which now you will have with the TG5 and TI2 campaign updates.

Those that contacted me private to help with repair of their vehicle received this already thanks for evaluating its effectiveness now we can let Vinny out of the silence box on this issue he kindly cooperated until it was officially released

Enjoy driving your cars guys without this issue and sorry you had to bear an infancy issue with a new vehicle. It is a beautiful car I drive it allot don't want to give back and change for another even though in my position I can drive any Hyundai car when I wish.

Fuel economy is good it is worth paying the extra for this car especially the way it looks and drives more like normal car than typical cookie cutter Hybrids with CVT.

Link to Car Tech Dude

Check Charging System - Page 31 - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

Last edited by NovaResource; 12-05-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Default I'm late to the party

Originally Posted by PHWong
Just a status update. The stumbling/Check Engine light problem I had has not reoccurred since the NVLD sensor was replaced. Car is running well.
I recently got a used 2011 sonata hybrid, did this issue solve you're problem for good? I know this post is really old, Just shooting in the dark to get some fix for my car.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Default Getting new transmission!

I purchased my Sonata Hybrid in Sept 2011 and love it. I have just started having the surging issue on braking. The dealer seemed quite concerned and has given me a car while they repaid the vehicle. Several thing were checked and now Hyundai has authorized a new transmission to be installed (NOT A REPAIR). This had better fix the issue. The whole thing started after an oil change and "suggested" coolant flush and brake inspection after 30,000 miles. Overall I love the car.