Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata SE Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Default Steering Issues

I purchased a 2011 Sonata SE on July 7, 2010. I am not experiencing the same steering problems that many of you are. At 75mph, on a straight stretch of road, the car continues in a straight line when I take my hands off the steering wheel. The problem I am experiencing is a rattle that comes from the steering wheel when I go over a bumpy road (in Maine, that is most of them). The car handles secure but the rattle is annoying. I took it to the dealer today and he tried it over some bumps in the parking lot and said he felt nothing abnormal. He said that because the steering wheel column is not solid due to the fact that it telescopes and will collapse in an accident for safety reasons, there may be some slight play. That does not sound right to me. Any one else experiencing this?

Old 07-31-2010, 08:11 AM

It really burns me when I hear of dealers providing feedback like this. It tells me the guy either didn't know what was wrong with it or didn't want to be bothered with it. In either case, they washed their hands of the problem. I suggest going back to the dealer and ask the technician or service manager to go out in another Sonata from the lot and have them demonstrate the same noise for you. I suspect there will be no noise, then put them on the spot and ask what their solution is going to be to resolve your noise. And no, it's not normal. All steeting columns are collapsable these days and many are telescoping, but their are not a bunch of cars with rattling steering columns going down the road.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:29 PM

Yeah, telescoping steering columns have been around for years, and are designed to collapse several inches in a head-on impact.

There are several components that allow this to happen, and if there is truly a rattle from this portion of the steering column where the 'slider' is located, there is damage to the internals of the column, most likely from when it was assembled or installed. You cannot (unless you are a NFL linebacker) strike the column hard enough by hand to 'shear' the pins that allow the sliding action to take place within the column. But 'bouncing' the column vertically while installing it can shear the pins in a heartbeat. (Guess how I know this...!).

Head back to the dealer, and tell 'em to get off the coffee break and back under the dash....

Old 07-31-2010, 04:42 PM

Thanks guys for your feedback!! I intend to go back but this time I will have him take it for a real ride on the road (not just the parking lot) and I know of of a road that will will really demonstrate the problem. We will go there. Thanks again.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:37 PM

Wow havent had one complaint on this issue with any of our customers. I didnt even notice at all this issue. Think its kinda like the lick your lips if ya tell someone about it everyone does. Only drift problem was a left dift but tire rotation corrected that.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:51 PM

If that was me, I would have a case open for a recall!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 07:17 AM

Believe me, I DO have a NHSTA complaint filed specific to the steering drift/pull. I also have a Hyundai complaint filed. In addition, I still have the specific number issued by Hyundai Corp. when they sent a "Engineer" to look at the vehicle. There are now several complaints filed with the NHSTA regarding this. I get email updates from the NHSTA when new complaints are filed. So, go to www.nhsta.gov and file your complaint if you are NOT satisfied by the dealership excuses.

... Sir, the "Hyundai Engineer" identified the same problem as you and the Dealership. There is a clear and evident drift/pull of the vehicle ... but, according to the "Hyundai Engenieer" there is no need to worry as it is just a inherent design configuration with the new electric based steering system. Ahh, can you say BULLSHI#!

Old 08-04-2010, 07:18 PM

Takes alot of cases to do anything I just hope you can resolve your issue.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:50 PM

I am presently researching and strongly considering buying a 2011 Sonata when I came across this forum. I must say that this discussion is quite concerning. Doing some more research on the issue I discovered this article/video. This is the only "press" I've been able to see on this issue.

http://www.familycarguide.com/blog/1...steering-issue

Old 08-26-2010, 10:46 PM

I was concerned also. I test drove 3 and found no problems.
I bought mine on Aug 24th (GLS Red plus Nav package) and I'm not experiencing any problems with the steering. Drives straight as an arrow, in fact I like the steering system. Love the car!

Bernie

Quick Reply: 2011 Sonata SE Steering Problem