Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 09:54 PM
Default 2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L Turbo?

Found a turbo kit for the 2.4L wondering if its dumb to turbo it, already did the engine recall and it should be out of warrenty now. Would it be a waste of money? Thanks!

Old 02-15-2023, 04:18 PM

What does the kit include?

Does it have any provision for telling you when something is wrong as a factory installed would do?

If you were working with a strictly mechanical engine as in older engines maybe, but don't know how it will fare with a modern engine with loads of electronic controls.

Old 12-23-2023, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ramotheman123
Found a turbo kit for the 2.4L wondering if its dumb to turbo it, already did the engine recall and it should be out of warrenty now. Would it be a waste of money? Thanks!
WHERE DID YOU FIND THE TURBO KIT!!!
I can’t find one and I’ve looked everywhere - of course, haven’t been looking that long. I’m doing a “project” car with a 2.4 NA Hyundai motor and I am dying to find a supercharger or turbo for it!

Old 12-24-2023, 12:07 PM

A little FYI,

Manufacturers spend a lot of money to put out an engine that has some longevity, and acceptable performance and economy.

When we start pushing that engine and drive train to higher demands, there can be a price to pay..

Old 01-19-2024, 04:36 AM

Hanky is absolutely right but if you really want to go that way then answer a couple of questions please. Give us a description of the 'kit'. Does it come with an inlet cooler of some sort? A cooler is important because the inlet temperature will go sky high due to the turbo's compressibility. The computer will see this as high inlet temperature from the mass airflow probe and alter the fuel mixture. Then the O2 sensors will give weird readings causing the check engine light to come on. As I see it....and I was interested in one about 10 years ago but quickly abandoned that thought......the only way this might work is to turn the boost way down and keep your fingers crossed the computer doesn't throw a fit. Hyundai 2.4s produce about 160 or so horse power. I bet a low boost will only get you about 30 to 40 more horsepower with associated numerous headaches. You still won't keep up with a factory turbo 4 cylinder car. Keep us posted and best of luck to you!

Old 01-19-2024, 12:00 PM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for explaining the reasons to be careful.
Wonder if the gent that found and installed the kit will keep us apprised of the performance and durability of the vehicle.

Old 01-19-2024, 03:33 PM

The real reason I answered the post is because I was in fact very interested in a turbo kit for my not too high of mileage Sonata....at that time. The thought of a 250 horsepower 5 speed Hyundai intrigued me. After a lot of reading I realized I was just dreaming. The end result would have been considerably less than 250HP with the dash panel lighting up like a XMas tree. Thankfully I stayed away from that endeavor and have enjoyed a solid running sewing machine that keeps up with traffic....but little more! ....Takes so little to keep an old man happy! Thanks Hanky

Old 01-20-2024, 11:57 AM

Thank you again for bringing your experience to our attention. Hopefully it will help the gentleman considering that move to look a little further into just how much benefit will be received after spending all that $$..

A far as the remaining parts of your post, I know EXACTLY how you feel because I am there too and really don't want to go any further, lol.