Paint Quality Issues - Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:39 AM

Default Paint Quality Issues

I started coming across with a paint problem with my 2007 Sonata GLS V6. It started with peeling paint in to spots on the roof near the windshield after I hand washed it one morning. Then another spot showed up along the door piller, on the trunk lid driver side rear quarter panel. While I'm in the process of adding a body kit and paint the fact that it is peeling is no big deal but I like to know is if it is a bad job from the factory or is this common with the NF Sonata and it's paint quality?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:54 AM

Default Sonata Paint Peeling

I too have peeling paint near the windshield - also major peeling on the hood and is just starting to pit on the door pillars. Paint flakes off at highway speeds. My car is a 2007 Sonata with the pearlescent white paint. Local dealers will not repair and Hyundai says "too bad - out of warranty period". Local body shop I trust says it is "mid coat adhesion failure" = problems with the original primer and paint. I have seen at least 6 cars with white paint with similar problems.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:37 AM

I have the pearlscent white paint color. It explains alot. At least I know now. Thanks for the info.