Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Parking light remain on when key out

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 09:45 AM

Mr. Farmer; Your issue seems like a bad BCM to me but again I'm no expert. Your mechanic is an expert though. If he says there's something going on with the tail light better listen to him and not me. Also, my Hyudai is older than yours so the wiring might b different. Auto manufactures don't "reinvent the wheel' when wiring their cars every year though. That said there is a wee bit of a chance, although I doubt it, that a tail light fuse (there r two of them...left and right) .has failed. There are some other circuits branching off the t/light wiring that will b effected causing some weird issues. Check those fuses.....like in my car...they are number 7 and 8 in the interior fuse panel.. Again, I might b completely off base here.....Hanky help! One more thing. When I was working I flew a helicopter for a living. Followed the railroad tracks and power lines all the time. At low altitudes...best way to navigate!

Old 01-09-2022, 10:13 AM

Thanks. So BCM is not the same as IPS? I googled and didn't quickly find an answer, though it seemed at very brief review that one is a component of the other. Maybe? Anyway, thank you for the advice. I do not fix cars but I trust this particular mechanic. He didn't hold himself out as a Hyundai expert, but he went and actually looked at the wiring diagram. Less impressed with the first one who spent a lot of time and enough money changing the light bulb, then fuses (if memory serves), then told me I must have a bad tail light assembly. And the dealer's service tech who "never heard of" an IPS and was going to charge a min. of $400 to diagnose after they said there'd be no charge over the phone. Typical stories I would imagine. P.S. it's MS. Farmer to you. haha. Or, just Farmer.

Old 01-09-2022, 10:15 AM

P.S. Following railroad tracks sounds like a good idea to me. Also I guess it's reasonable to try bulbs and fuses if these things can cause issues in the key fobs, headlights etc.

Old 01-09-2022, 10:36 AM

A lot of folks look at a wiring diagram and the only thing they see is how the power gets to the lamps,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,when they are working correctly. !

When a circuit is operating at the wrong time , the thing to do is look for what else is on that circuit/. All components require a power and ground to operate.

Now if a component cannot get it's proper ground, it will seek another possible path and if a light happens to be in that path , the light may illuminate and may not.
That is where a wiring diagram is helpful because it might tell you what else is on that circuit and we verify the ground to those components is good.
It sounds a little complicated because you cannot visualize physically what may be taking place..
Don't misunderstand my reasoning, because there are times when it is something completely unrelated that can take you for a ride.
Even some places get fooled by thinking , Oh I just had a vehicle with that problem and it was such and such,,,,,,,not always so !
This long winded conversation probably isn't helping much today, but if it gets you to approach the problem with an open mind you have taken the first important steps.

Some of the crazy things to see, fuses, in places where there no connections, wrong bulbs in places where we wonder , how did they manage to get that in there,
Electrical work done correctly ,can be very rewarding and the more you learn the easier it is , supposed ,,to be.

Last edited by hanky; 01-09-2022 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:57 AM

My apologies Miss Farmer....good to see the ladies looking at these helpful sites. There are some extremely knowledgeable folks here... Hanky is one of them. You have to separate the wheat from the chaff at times though. Often times you can save yourself hundreds of dollars by doing so. Back to your issue. ...I don't know and never heard of a IPS. Since you state your keyfobs are acting up along with some other issues, I'm afraid you will have to trust a mechanic....like finding a good husband, it's a crapshoot though....just ask my wife! There are however, some wonderful tools that will put the odds in your favor of finding a good mechanic. Research their Google site and look at their feedback. The good ones will readily stand out. Once you find one don't tell them you looked on one of these sites and have an opinion....like your issue is the BCM....you'll loose a good mechanic. Your latest mechanic probably is fine but again I never heard of IPS.....that does not mean it isn't so. Get a few more answers to your post here then go from there. Be patient and you will solve your problem....I guarantee it!

Old 01-09-2022, 01:35 PM

Re the IPS, the diagram he gave me shows tail light connecting to the "IPS Control Module". So whatever that is! Google is such a vast resource for learning on any topic. Alas, the mechanic I trust says to replace that module, I have to go to the dealer as they are the only ones that sell it. Dealer was worthless and that piece is over $2000. Now if the IPS is actually just another name for the BCM, or if the BCM is just one component of the electrical system that comprises the IPS, then I could try the route one of you suggested, which was to buy a BCM on ebay and get a shop to install it. Maybe my guy would even do it. Anyway, really appreciate you gents discussing with me. Now I know I can at least disconnect the battery if I'm in dire straits, while I consider my options about replacing or repairing the car.

Old 01-09-2022, 02:19 PM

IPS....Intelligent power switch. Takes the roll of the relay and fuse. Guess I am a dinosaur! I learned something today but in your case I could not find out where it is in your Hyundai. The curious thing is it's not showing up to purchase....I need a wiring diagram. I am very confident however, there is no module, switch r relay that costs $2K. Stay away from that dealership! I'll keep researching but if u could get a PDF of the wiring diagram that mechanic showed you, it would help! Thanks

Old 01-09-2022, 02:34 PM

I have the wiring diagram, just have to get it scanned in. The dealer did not assert that the IPS had to be replaced; this was my mechanic's conclusion. The dealer wanted to re-diagnose at $200/hr and their service tech had never heard of an IPS either - and it's right on this diagram. However, the dealer confirmed that the IPS part = about $2K, not including labor, and they have to order it from somewhere out of state that takes a week or two to get it. I suspect results will be the same from any Hyundai dealer as far as price for the part. I would just go sell the darn thing and get something else but I hear that cars are in shortage, so I don't want to be too hasty.

Old 01-09-2022, 02:56 PM

Get that wiring diagram scanned somehow..... friend with scanner, library? You could scan it to a thumb drive and attach it to your post. I still don't understand how even a smart tail light switch can cause your other issues. You don't need to pay those exorbitant prices to fix your car. Just give us a little time and we'll get to the bottom of this.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:29 PM

I have a few questions after reading all the posts again.

I need some help here,
From your best recollection just what is supposed to come on when you turn on the ignition?
The parking lights? Just what does this include, the fronts and rears and dash lights or just certain lights?
My question regarding this is , what is supposed to come on when the ign is turned on?
Why isn't the ign system turning off when the key is turned to the off position. The parking lights may be the result of a problem somewhere else and not necessarily a module.
If there is a relay specially for the parking lights and there is a fuse for them , what happens when we pull the fuse for the parking lights? Do they, which lights, still stay on or go off? As you can see we are attempting to isolate the problem from other parts.
That is some of the info I would be looking for. Yes we have received a few opinions , but nothing definite because nobody isolated the cause yet.

Do I understand your info correctly, that the ign is staying on?

Last edited by hanky; 01-09-2022 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Parking light remain on when key out