Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

USB memory stick issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Pof

Originally Posted by Zotz
I have a 2009 Hyundai Sonata with the Infinity radio.
To get my 32GB PNY Flash Drive (stick) to work with my MP3 music (over 19GB @ 128KBPS) by using the following formatting on the stick:

FAT32
8192 bytes

I used a Windows PC with Windows 7 to do the formatting.
I have An Elantra gt 2014, and just used the idea of the USB drive formatted as above and it works. My iPod used to work fine then just gave up. Wasn't best pleased with Hyundai answer of using the $44 lead. So for now I have my music back and can flick though songs as before. As for Hyundai I will be contacting them again. Thanks for the post about the formatting of the USB, redid mine from NTFS to Fat..cheers!

Old 07-13-2015, 03:30 PM

I have a 2015 Hyundai Sonata SE. I have done all the suggestions mentioned here and still no luck. I have read and followed the manual and instructions from the manufacture and still no luck. When I put in the memory stick, it says it is "reading media" then goes into "connection error". I have tried 5 different memory sticks and get the same results. Anyone have any other suggestions? I think that something is wrong with the connector itself.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:04 AM

I am picking up a 2011 Sonata SE today and will see what issues I experience. According to the manual, it says
Use only a USB device formatted to FAT 12/16/32

When the formatted byte/sector setting of External USB devices is not either 512BYTE or 2048BYTE, then the device will not be recognized.
It also says it will only play WMA or MP3 files with the compression rate between 8Kbps~320Kbps.

Another Hyundai forum said there was a limit of 5000 files.

Based on my experience with a 2016 Chevrolet Volt (whose voice command sounds identical to the 2011 Sonata and thus might be the same software), it seems to have a limit of 15,000 audio files (which included MP4, MP3, WMA and some others - the manual said 8000 files max), and didn't count the album covers in the limits. I am using a 128GB flash drive. When you install a different USB, it starts building a voice recognition database (which I assume is because it can't do it on the fly) that takes roughly 30 minutes. This may be the real limitation of the software. It has to build the database with album names, artist names, song names and genre names, and the limit may be based upon how many voice entries are in there.

If you need to format into a specific FAT32 format, the freeware program FAT32 Format will do it. See this link.

Last edited by miracj; 05-31-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:27 AM

Sorry, I should have came back and reported on this. They found that the connection behind the panel where the USB port / AUX jack is at was not connected. I dont know if it just came lose or if it was not connected, so if you get the message like I did, tell them to check the connection. As for the formating, that is correct and another thing that I found out, it will not play with certain brands of USB sticks. If you can, stick with SanDisk Thumb Drives, they seem to work the best. You can also make MP3 CD's to that will play in the CD player as a backup just in case. Another problem I have with the car is keys, only place to get keys make is the dealer for mine due to way they are made. Have a good day.

Last edited by Ernie Gobble; 05-31-2016 at 10:30 AM.